Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Knocked my mirror glass out, replacement?

Options
  • 01-05-2015 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

Clipped my mirror this morning and knocked out the glass. It looks like it came out clean, adjustable mechanism is still working and the casing is only scraped a little, not cracked or broken. The car is an E46 BMW (pre-facelift model). Can the glass be bought separately and if so, is this a BMW-only part or could I pick up a proper replacement somewhere else cheaper?

There are two thin wires sticking out as well, does that mean the mirror is heated?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

If there is a top parts near you they sell them for sub 15 euro for any car may need to order though. Id say most motor factors will do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Looks like this should do the job, think I should go ahead and order....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

blastman wrote: »
    Looks like this should do the job, think I should go ahead and order....

Yep you just need to make sure you stick it properly maybe with Tec 7 or a really good glue otherwise it will keep falling off happened my dad before happens easy enough especially if it a heated motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Bpmull wrote: »
    Yep you just need to make sure you stick it properly maybe with Tec 7 or a really good glue otherwise it will keep falling off happened my dad before happens easy enough especially if it a heated motor.

I wouldn't use any glue to be honest. These generally come with a backing plate already attached that clips to a disc shaped bracket in the mirror housing. If you glue that on and need to get it out again to replace in the future you'll probably wreck the whole mechanism in the mirror.

Advertisement