Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to improve handwriting on the whiteboard

Options
  • 30-04-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

I have poor hand writing which turns out worse again on the whiteboard. then I see other teachers with lovely clear hand writing for students. is it actually possible to become a clearer/nicer writer? any strategies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Do you have access to an interactive whiteboard, you could just type then?
    I find slowing down my writing while using whiteboard markers helps. Sometimes I lean my wrist on the board while writing. Bullet tip markers work best for me but there are chisel tip ones too. Have you tried different types of markers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ya mines atrocious too, just slow down. I always divide my board in 3 just contain myself a bit. Key terms top left. I know you can prep with powerpoint/slides etc but for some subjects I think its important that they see you 'working through' a topic rather than displaying "the notes".
    Also you might be able to use a camera on a ruled page projected onto a board. That way you can use different pens.
    Actually you might find changing to a thinner marker helps too (but they run out quicker).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We did classes on this in college (a million years ago).

The main things I remember -
    • Don't rush - rushing makes your writing worse
    • Move along the board as you write - this stops the drooping at the end of lines
    • Write much bigger than you think you need to
    • Write with your whole arm rather than just your hand - this helps with pains
    • Use simple letters - this was pointed out to me by a child - I used to write K as a cursive k and many of my students thought it was an R with an elongated first stroke. Since they couldn't spell anyway, they merrily copied it down as an R.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

spurious wrote: »
    We did classes on this in college (a million years ago).

The main things I remember -
    • Don't rush - rushing makes your writing worse
    • Move along the board as you write - this stops the drooping at the end of lines
    • Write much bigger than you think you need to
    • Write with your whole arm rather than just your hand - this helps with pains
    • Use simple letters - this was pointed out to me by a child - I used to write K as a cursive k and many of my students thought it was an R with an elongated first stroke. Since they couldn't spell anyway, they merrily copied it down as an R.

The simple things they don't teach teachers anymore!

We spent a good three months learning board work ahead of our TP.

Divide the board in two sections for writing. Work down one side then the other. Stops you over reaching and tapering off your writing. And stops you from standing in the way all the tine.

Do left then right. When you're doing the second section they take down the first then you move back rub out and put in new work as they continue to take down the work.

Board work is an art form. There is nothing nicer Tha a well laid out board with clear notes and diagrams.

I'm a big IT promoter but you cant beat working out a problem step by step in front of a class. A visualiser is a good alternative but PowerPoint is no substitute unless you're into heavy note taking (apart from the obvious visual benefits with photos and video etc.)

Give me a blackboard any day of the week over a whiteboard 😊

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

mengele wrote: »
    I have poor hand writing which turns out worse again on the whiteboard. then I see other teachers with lovely clear hand writing for students. is it actually possible to become a clearer/nicer writer? any strategies?

Slow down! And support your hand by leaning your wrist on the board underneath where you're writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

katydid wrote: »
    Slow down! And support your hand by leaning your wrist on the board underneath where you're writing.

This is why I miss blackboards. You could lean on the chalk!!

My handwriting is terrible but by writing in block capitals on the board, I never have any problems. It'll improve with practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Phew! I'm not the only one so. Some good tips, tks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Write big and use markers that have high contrast and aren't running out. Green never seems as easy to read as black/blue/red for some reason.

I just walk down the back every now and then to make sure it's readable. Rewrite anything that isn't.

Advertisement