Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talking to Literary Agents

Options
  • 30-04-2015 11:59pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting a really brilliant opportunity to have a chat with a London literary agent in a few weeks. It's supposed to be an "advice" thing, but I'm going to pitch.

Being a general stress-ball, and never having done anything like this before, I'm looking for advice on how to approach it.

Is there anyone who has pitched before who'd be willing to advise me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

What are you pitching?

Generally they want a proposal and three chapters. You could either go there prepared with that to hand to him or you could warm him up to be prepared to receive one in his inbox.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Her. :)

It's a novel.

It's the proposal I'm floundering with. I've got the start chapters almost ready.

I have a synopsis, which I need to work on. I suppose I'm looking for someone who's been there to tell me how it went for them. From what I've read, this agent is nice to deal with. I'm probably worrying about nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Das Kitty wrote: »

It's a novel.

It's the proposal I'm floundering with. I've got the start chapters almost ready.

I have a synopsis, which I need to work on. I suppose I'm looking for someone who's been there to tell me how it went for them. From what I've read, this agent is nice to deal with. I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Don't sweat it too much.

If it gets taken on, it will completely change by the time it hits print.

Publishing is in a flumix right now because of self publishing.

If there is anything I have learned, it's that when you read a book, you can never really be sure who wrote it.

I'd bring it with you, but I'd also be prepared to email her the copy. Many don't even accept manuscripts by post.

This is an opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

It's a novel.

You obviously have an in with the LA. So the following may not be relevant. This is more general advice.

If you are pitching a nonfiction book then what you're doing might be plausible. Usually this would apply to famous people or experts in their field (say you're an astronaut recently descended from space :) ).

Otherwise the LA will not only want the book finished (they get possibly a hundred fully complete books a week) and wont entertain an incomplete book, never mind one that only has three chapters complete.

My advice would be to make contact, try and make a good impression with her. Give a very brief synopsis of your book and ask her can you submit when it is complete.

Otherwise I think you risk them feeling doorstepped and receiving polite 'of course, just leave it with me there' and leave her with a bad impression.

Now, it would be easier to say 'Go for it, what do you have to lose' - but in this circumstance I don't think it would be appropriate to make a movie script agent type pitch.

She's aware it's not fully finished. Well, it is finished, but it's still in early draft for the most part. I think I have about 10 minutes with her.

• Advertisement

She's aware it's not fully finished. Well, it is finished, but it's still in early draft for the most part. I think I have about 10 minutes with her.

What Genre is it?

I've submitted something to a literary agent today for the first time in about 6 years.

Geniass wrote: »
    What Genre is it?

I've submitted something to a literary agent today for the first time in about 6 years.

Contemporary fiction.

Well done on the submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Work on the ten word pitch. She asks you, "What is your book about?" and you need to be able to sum it up in ten words or less. http://www.wattpad.com/forums/discussion/594798/0/25/the-ten-word-pitch

Focus on what makes this book the one that people will want to buy. Be enthusiatic. Make sure you know where the book will fit in the market.

It went really well. She had almost exclusively positive things to say, and one suggestion which I'm taking on board. She asked me to send it to her when it's ready. So now I have to get it ready. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

It went really well. She had almost exclusively positive things to say, and one suggestion which I'm taking on board. She asked me to send it to her when it's ready. So now I have to get it ready. :)

Delighted to hear that. No more than you deserve. At least now you know you aren't wasting your time getting it ready. Do you have a deadline?

I expect the next news will be the bidding-war.:)

• Advertisement

echo beach wrote: »
    Do you have a deadline?

No deadline. I need it to be as good as it can be.

No deadline. I need it to be as good as it can be.

Have you/are you going to put a section up on write club for critique?

Geniass wrote: »
    Have you/are you going to put a section up on write club for critique?

Probably not at this stage. I'm work-shopping it with my group.

Advertisement