Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple mojito!

Options
  • 30-04-2015 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Girls night this saturday, we're all making a jug of a cocktail each - I'm going with mojito - so rum, mint leaves, limes, ice and what else? Any measurement guidelines? Dunno whether to go with sparkling water or soda water for a mixer any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

gg2 wrote: »
    Girls night this saturday, we're all making a jug of a cocktail each - I'm going with mojito - so rum, mint leaves, limes, ice and what else? Any measurement guidelines? Dunno whether to go with sparkling water or soda water for a mixer any ideas?

Cut your limes into cubes instead of slices or wedges, give them a good roll before cutting as well, it releases more of the juice, don't forget the sugar, it is what makes most cocktails taste nice, oh and give the mint leaves a few slaps before adding, it helps release the oils in them. Never made a jug of them, always individualy, usually about 50mls rum per cocktail! Hope that helps a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Use unrefined cane sugar - you should get it in any supermarket. Off white colour.
    If making a jug, I'd juice the limes rather than muddle them - this is how it's traditionally made, anyway.
    Try half a shot of juice to every shot of rum and a heaped teaspoon of sugar. Taste and adjust.
    I've no particular preference between soda or sparkling as long as it's good and fizzy just don't flood it. Or for a real treat, use prosecco or other bubbly - mojito royale!
    I like 3 YO Havana Club rum best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Use unrefined cane sugar - you should get it in any supermarket. Off white colour.
    If making a jug, I'd juice the limes rather than muddle them - this is how it's traditionally made, anyway.
    Try half a shot of juice to every shot of rum and a heaped teaspoon of sugar. Taste and adjust.
    I've no particular preference between soda or sparkling as long as it's good and fizzy just don't flood it. Or for a real treat, use prosecco or other bubbly - mojito royale!
    I like 3 YO Havana Club rum best.

Would that not have us all pie eyed?!

Will the sugar desolve fully and is there a specific way it needs to be added? Will try tesco tonight for the unrefined stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Will the sugar desolve fully and is there a specific way it needs to be added? Will try tesco tonight for the unrefined stuff

If you make up a simple sugar syrup you'll not have any left undissolved. 3 parts water to 1 part sugar does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The sugar will dissolve in the rum & juice regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

How did you get on?

A Mojito doesn't use soda water as a mixer but to add a bit of evervescence after you have built the drink in the glass. Crushed ice is best for Mojitos as you can pack more in and it aids with dilution.

It's a great drink but not always made correctly. Even though it is a combination of simple ingredients it can be tricky combining them to produce the desired result.

Advertisement