Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water cycle

Options
  • 30-04-2015 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

have my fluval edge set up today , water and sand treatments in it etc

i know i need the water to cycle 3-4 weeks before any fish etc

but do i need to leave the filter on 24/7 ? or can you turn it off when going to bed ?

the lights are off etc just not sure if i have to leave filter on constantly ( esb bill etc )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The filter needs to be on 24/7.

Read the sticky in this forum on cycling, it has everything you need to know (and more besides).

One thing to be aware of is that the fluval edge is a tiny tank (assuming you have the 23l?) so the kind of thing you can keep is extremely limited, pretty much shrimp/plants only tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Sleepy wrote: »
    The filter needs to be on 24/7.

Read the sticky in this forum on cycling, it has everything you need to know (and more besides).

One thing to be aware of is that the fluval edge is a tiny tank (assuming you have the 23l?) so the kind of thing you can keep is extremely limited, pretty much shrimp/plants only tbh.

couple of danio's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly, your tank is too small for even a couple of danios. It's a shrimp/plant tank and anyone advising otherwise is either trying to sell you something or doesn't give a damn about the wellbeing of the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Sleepy wrote: »
    Honestly, your tank is too small for even a couple of danios. It's a shrimp/plant tank and anyone advising otherwise is either trying to sell you something or doesn't give a damn about the wellbeing of the fish.

You could go for truly tiny fish.

https://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=969&q=dario+dario&oq=dario+dario&gs_l=img.3..0l2j0i8i30j0i5i30j0i24l6.1209.2925.0.3188.11.11.0.0.0.0.128.931.8j3.11.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.64.img..0.11.931.mPwrlCvQNdI

1cm in size. Even the fluval edge isn't too small for that.

Or you could find a nothobranchus killifish which lives in muddy puddles in the wild. Again, not too small.

There are options. but yes, they are really very limited in a tank that small.

Advertisement