Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it dangerous to visit Greece right now?

Options
  • 30-04-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

We want to go to Corfu on the Greek Islands for our holidays this year, but we're afraid that it'll be quite unsafe with the economy the way it is at the moment? I could be wrong, it might be fine but it's just a worry. Advice would be great, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Please someone answer !

Are you about to board the plane?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/greece

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

12 minutes, that must be a record for a bump.

OP, you said 'this year', what's the hurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭kavanada

Greece is fine. You're going to one of the islands too. Tourism is the lifeblood of those parts of Greece, everyone living and working on them know that.

Was in Corfu last summer. Full flight both ways. Lovely, welcoming people from the taxi driver to the restaurant staff.

As for the May Day strikes, they happen all over Europe. Nothing new.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Postoffice123

kavanada wrote: »
    Greece is fine. You're going to one of the islands too. Tourism is the lifeblood of those parts of Greece, everyone living and working on them know that.

Was in Corfu last summer. Full flight both ways. Lovely, welcoming people from the taxi driver to the restaurant staff.

As for the May Day strikes, they happen all over Europe. Nothing new.

Enjoy.

Thank you so much :)

coylemj wrote: »
    12 minutes, that must be a record for a bump.

OP, you said 'this year', what's the hurry?

We're about to book flights as my mam has to take her holiday bookings off work tomorrow and we need to know dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Advice welcome, eh? How about "make sure to wash behind your ears"?

What sort of thing are you worrying about specifically? Greece vanishing into a black hole - unlikely. Greeks revolting on the street, burning things and generally causing trouble - already happened, but as far as I know no holiday makers were inconvenienced. Your hotel going bust - as likely to happen there as in Bundoran or Boston.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    Advice welcome, eh? How about "make sure to wash behind your ears"?

What sort of thing are you worrying about specifically? Greece vanishing into a black hole - unlikely. Greeks revolting on the street, burning things and generally causing trouble - already happened, but as far as I know no holiday makers were inconvenienced. Your hotel going bust - as likely to happen there as in Bundoran or Boston.

z

Thanks, was just worried about mugging and break ins, but what do I know hey. Could turn out to be the best holiday ever for all you'd know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

We want to go to Corfu on the Greek Islands for our holidays this year, but we're afraid that it'll be quite unsafe with the economy the way it is at the moment? I could be wrong, it might be fine but it's just a worry. Advice would be great, thanks :)

We were in Barbati in Corfu last year for a fortnight. Lovely place and lovely people. The only problem we had was the apartment complex refused to take credit cards for payment. Would only accept cash. So maybe be prepared for that.
    Would love to get back there and hopefully will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just mention you're from one of the other countries that got screwed over, you'll be fine and don't start going on and on about how wonderful you think Angela Merkel is...

johnayo wrote: »
    We were in Barbati in Corfu last year for a fortnight. Lovely place and lovely people. The only problem we had was the apartment complex refused to take credit cards for payment. Would only accept cash. So maybe be prepared for that.
    Would love to get back there and hopefully will.

That's great, there were no problems other than that? Was the scenery nice? We want to go somewhere that's different from your 'typical Spain holiday' i.e beach everyday, laying by the pool. The scenery looks fab here. And I love the tropical turquoise water and the bay's. Just hope it's like the pictures I see on the Internet?

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Just mention you're from one of the other countries that got screwed over, you'll be fine and don't start going on and on about how wonderful you think Angela Merkel is...

Haha love it. Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

"unsafe" :confused:
    Unsafe in what way, kidnapping, :pac:

No, was in Corfu a couple of years ago.
    Prince William and Kate had their honeymoon on Corfu, I didn't know that until just now.

imme wrote: »
    "unsafe" :confused:
    Unsafe in what way, kidnapping, :pac:

No, was in Corfu a couple of years ago.
    Prince William and Kate had their honeymoon on Corfu, I didn't know that until just now.

Really? Didn't know that myself :p thank you! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you get a chance on Corfu, go visit this place
    http://realcorfu.com/ambelonas/
    Charming hostess and lovely food on an olive farm.

spurious wrote: »
    If you get a chance on Corfu, go visit this place
    http://realcorfu.com/ambelonas/
    Charming hostess and lovely food on an olive farm.

Thanks very much will look into that :-)

Advertisement