Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding an additional subject

Options
  • 30-04-2015 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am about to complete my BA in Finance from Maynooth University. When I started the course I was under the impression that I would be in a position to teach business studies after also completing the PME.

It turns out that under the new regulations that it is not the case. I am trying to make up the difference and I have some questions that I would very much appreciate if you could assist with.

My initial degree allows me to teach Economics and Geography. I want to also be able to teach business. I plan on completing the Higher Diploma in Business (BN526) a one year full time lever 8 course.

The requirements state:
    (a) Applicants must hold a degree-level qualification, with Business studied up to and including third-year level or higher (or modular equivalent)

Would this be considered a degree level qualification? And regarding the requirement to have 3rd year level modules, would this qualification satisfy this? If not would my studies in finance (not the economic or accounting modules) allow me to qualify for this?

It also states:
    The qualifying degree must carry at least 180 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits (or equivalent) with the specific study of Business comprising at least 60 ECTS credits (or equivalent) and with not less than 10 ECTS credits (or equivalent) studied at third-year level or higher (or modular equivalent). Please note that studies in the areas of Accounting and Economics will not be counted towards the ECTS credit requirement for the Leaving Certificate subject of Business.

This course is of 60 ECTS in total. However, my initial degree from Maynooth University is of 180 credits. Will this qualify this condition for me for the business aspect?

My basic question is if I complete this course will I also be able to teach Leaving Certificate Business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

Send an email to the Teaching Council outlining the specifics of the hdip and your current qualifications. I'd imagine the course would qualify you, but I'd strongly advise you to confirm this with the Council.

As there are no post primary teaching jobs in Business, you might find the year a waste of time and money. If post primary is what you really want, you'd be better off doing the PME first. Get your foot in the door and see where the opportunities are. Currently, teachers seem to be upskilling in maths, languages or special education. You can always do modules on a part time basis e.g. through open university.

It'll take a long time before you can earn a decent wage in teaching, so be careful about how much you're investing in postgraduate qualifications!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Have you considered teaching in the UK? or maybe UAE.

Advertisement