Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Art Exam

Options
  • 30-04-2015 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hi all, my Art Exam is next week. I'm doing the design option and I'm a bit confused, could anyone help me on the following?
    1) Is it okay to bring graphite tracing paper into the exam?
    2) The preliminary sheet: we were told it's just a sketch of our finished piece, but apparently you have to develop ideas'. Would I be better off sketching a number of ideas on it?
    3) Will you be docked marks for a simple but effective design?
    ..And that's basically it. Would really appreciate some help.
    Thanks everyone :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pseudorachel

I'm pretty sure that it is okay to bring in tracing paper, especially if you're going to need it. You just can't have anything drawn on it.

My art teacher is going through prep sheets with us. You have to have a couple of ideas on it and notation on it too. Like, why one idea is better that another and what techniques you will use.

I'm not sure what craft you are doing, but if you are doing a lino print, you have to o at least three types of cuts. ie. three different shape cutters.

I'm only iin 5th year but my art class is in the same class as 6th years. Try talking to your teacher if you're still unsure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Is it the Craft or the Design Exam that you're talking about?

Sorry for the above question - I can see that you stated the Design option.

1) There should be tracing paper there already provided but maybe its no harm to bring some of your own blank tracing paper in case its absent for some reason.

2) The exam paper refers to ideas and sketches in the plural and not singular - on the bases of this I'd draw a few sketches/ideas.

3) It probably depends on what your design is for - if its for a linoprint then these tend to be somewhat simpler than others. I wouldn't go too simplistic - you want to show off how good you are at drawing designs but at the same time some designs require a certain simplicity. You should annotate your prelim sheet and state you are taking a bold simple approach because .........

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Ah okay, that made it a lot clearer for me, gonna go with the few designs as well as a slightly more complex finished piece. Thanks guys :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It would be very unusual for you to be allowed bring in paper. Ask your Examinations Secretary to make sure there will be tracing paper.

• Advertisement

You get to bring your own paper into the Art exams ok- but you need to get the supervisor to sign and date each sheet to state the sheet is blank.

Advertisement