Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become an engineering teacher

Options
  • 29-04-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Can you do an engineering degree and then a Hdip or do you have to do a specific degree in teaching engineering

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The most common way is the Engineering Teaching degree in UL. You do your teacher training along with Engineering. UL also have a specific post grad for people with suitable engineering degrees. Doing the degree is far more straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gulfstream757

Thanks,

So it is possible to do a normal engineering degree and then go into teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks,

It is possible but you would want to make sure that you would satisfy Teaching Council requirements to ensure that you could register with them. This has caused problems in the past with engineering students registering and not having a subject as they don't fit the requirements. You don't want to find yourself in that situation. As mentioned above, I would advice the engineering course in UL because you would be qualified faster because if you did an engineering degree which is four years long, you would still have to do the PME which is another two years and as far as I know, the engineering course in UL is five years and you are guaranteed registration.

It is possible but you would want to make sure that you would satisfy Teaching Council requirements to ensure that you could register with them. This has caused problems in the past with engineering students registering and not having a subject as they don't fit the requirements. You don't want to find yourself in that situation. As mentioned above, I would advice the engineering course in UL because you would be qualified faster because if you did an engineering degree which is four years long, you would still have to do the PME which is another two years and as far as I know, the engineering course in UL is five years and you are guaranteed registration.

Thanks, I actually want to do engineering but was interested in the prospect of teaching as well.

Thanks
    Gulf57

• Registered Users Posts: 5 garimakaushikk

Thanks,

You need to appear in your Master's in engineering for being teacher.

• Advertisement

You need to appear in your Master's in engineering for being teacher.

Thanks, I see in a document from the teaching council that a degree in engineering from UCD will allow you to teach Maths and Applied maths, its from 2012 though so correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks, I see in a document from the teaching council that a degree in engineering from UCD will allow you to teach Maths and Applied maths, its from 2012 though so correct me if I'm wrong

I think that post might be referring to the fact that the HDip is now called the PME and is a 2 year course and awarded a Masters in Education at the end of it. A degree is still fine for the subject requirement if it is on the Teaching Council's list.

I think that post might be referring to the fact that the HDip is now called the PME and is a 2 year course and awarded a Masters in Education at the end of it. A degree is still fine for the subject requirement if it is on the Teaching Council's list.

So if you have a PME and a degree in engineering from UCD with the appropriate maths credits you can teach maths and applied maths?
    Thanks

So if you have a PME and a degree in engineering from UCD with the appropriate maths credits you can teach maths and applied maths?
    Thanks

yes, if the degree meets the TC requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

If you want to teach maths do a maths degree, if you want to teach engineering go to UL.

Don't be going into a course thinking that you'll have teaching to fall back on as option 2.

It is costly to become a teacher . The chances of full time employment are limited the salary, as a result, is poor and there is limited job security.

id you're not passionate about a subject and don't really care either way I would say teaching isn't for you.

• Advertisement

If you want to teach maths do a maths degree, if you want to teach engineering go to UL.

Don't be going into a course thinking that you'll have teaching to fall back on as option 2.

It is costly to become a teacher . The chances of full time employment are limited the salary, as a result, is poor and there is limited job security.

id you're not passionate about a subject and don't really care either way I would say teaching isn't for you.

Thank you for your advice.

I actually wanted to be a teacher for a long time but had a change of heart a few years ago and now have another career in mind which after a lot of research and consideration I'm firmly set on. I just wanted to know if my desired career doesn't work out or has to be put on hold that I would have something as a potential back up, I initially thought that with an engineering degree you would teach engineering, but I was delighted to find yesterday that you can teach maths and applied maths as they would have been my first choice as a teacher at least from a students perspective, but I still want to do engineering so as to priorities my first choice career.

Thanks again for your help and I'm sorry if this makes more sense in my head than it does in writing!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I suppose nobody likes to think their occupation is 2nd best OP. When the recession hit there were a lot of engineers looking to transfer over to teaching as they thought it was a handy number etc. (and maybe it worked out fine) but I think a lot expected to walk into a school and pick up the chalk. Teaching council says otherwise.

Advice sought
    Advice given
    OP happy
    Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement