Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanned receipts

Options
  • 29-04-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I've noticed that a lot of my receipts that I keep for warranty or insurance purposes have faded over time, some to the point where they cannot be read. I want to scan them and store them digitally. But are scanned receipts acceptable proof of purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Should be fine. As far as your consumer rights are concerned you just need proof of purchase, which can take many forms. A receipt is good but other forms of proof such as a credit/debit card statement or bank statement are just as good. Some sellers will even check their own records without you supplying any supporting documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Spocker

This is a really handy app for scanning docs/receipts on your phone and saving them as PDFs. Automatically syncs to your cloud storage too (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc)

https://scanbot.io/en/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Thermal ink. Heat them up.

Though what sorta warranties are they that they're outlasting the receipt??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Thermal ink. Heat them up.

Though what sorta warranties are they that they're outlasting the receipt??

I've a voucher from power city printed on receipt paper last July. It's barely readable now. Have to use it.

Anyway warranties normally only last a year or two. Your statutory rights could be longer. You'd need a receipt for those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

timetogo wrote: »
    I've a voucher from power city printed on receipt paper last July. It's barely readable now. Have to use it.

Anyway warranties normally only last a year or two. Your statutory rights could be longer. You'd need a receipt for those too.
    Other proofs of purchase are valid too so a receipt is often only required where you paid in cash; but it's no harm keeping a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Other proofs of purchase are valid too so a receipt is often only required where you paid in cash; but it's no harm keeping a copy.

Yeah I know but receipt is always handiest. Who wants to be rooting through bank statements from years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Power city are great at emailing a copy of a receipt once its recorded on their system against your phone number.

If it's a big item a receipt isn't often necessary going back to the shop as a record is kept of the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Aldi and Lidl stuff normally has a 3 year warantee and you need the receipt. Both use thermal paper but I always write the item details and date on the receipt and keep it with the instructions booklet. I've used the 3 year warantee from them a couple of times and always got a straight refund once with a receipt I couldn't read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Remind Me Tomorrow

Spocker wrote: »
    This is a really handy app for scanning docs/receipts on your phone and saving them as PDFs. Automatically syncs to your cloud storage too (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc)

https://scanbot.io/en/index.html
    Office lens is a good one too.

And if you upload your images to OneDrive, it will index the text within the image so you can easily search for items. If you don't mind big brother seeing your purchase history that is. But lets face it they have all that anyway!

It works for any image containing text. For example If you have a photo with a street sign visible it will return that image when you search for the street name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

If you have a receipt that has completely faded it can often be resurrected by applying heat. The whole receipt will go black apart from the original text which should stay lighter.

Advertisement