Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattress, has us crippled

Options
  • 29-04-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

We bought a mattress last week from a company advertising on facebook, they have a warehouse in an industrial estate too but I was never in it. I ordered from their description on facebook.
    1/2 price hotel quality - Memory Modena Backmaster, open coil springs with bonnell support and knitted fabric for extra comfort with layered memory foam top.

Memory foam mattress with a luxurious quilted cashmere stitched fabric for maximum comfort with air vents

Specially manufactured back support system for a healthy restful sleep

Total perimeter orthopaedic support system

Posture care comfort beds

So the mattress arrived same day and they took away the old one, great service but I wasn't given a receipt, completely slipped my mind.

Anyway, I can't sleep on it, it appears to be higher around the edges than towards the centre, so I'm sleeping on a slope. The way I sleep is on my side facing out of the bed and it's like gravity is pulling me backwards into the centre of the bed. Also my wife while she sleeps well, suddenly her back is in spasm during the day which has never happened in her life. I told she must have done it in the gym in the hope that she doesn't blame me for getting this awful mattress but it could well be it.

I have the mattress 9 days now as I wanted to give it a chance to settle, but I've had enough. What rights do I have, if any, for a refund or replacement (though I probably don't want this if they're all the same).

I haven't rang them yet but to have my facts right beforehand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Did you not lie on the mattress before deciding to buy it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't think you've a case for a refund or replacement tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

MrWalsh wrote: »

^^ This, your going to spend half your life on the thing so it's important to test it first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

^^ This, your going to spend half your life on the thing so it's important to test it first
    Half! ya lazy fecker! :P

Half! ya lazy fecker! :P

At least half, sleeping aint the only thing I do on my mattress ya know :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

In fairness unless your fully commited to a 2 hour nap in the shop its tough to find out if a matress has issues.

Id check with the shop, matresses are tricky as technically they might be considered soiled after use.

imitation wrote: »
    In fairness unless your fully commited to a 2 hour nap in the shop its tough to find out if a matress has issues.

Presumably the type of slope the OP describes would be apparent quickly?

And many of us would know instantly that a mattress was too soft, too hard, etc...

While I agree that nothing would beat a 2 hour nap, there are at least some checks for comfort that one should do before committing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Turn the mattress over. Some are designed that you can only sleep on one side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

While I agree I wasn't thorough and it's not the ideal way to buy a mattress, I did lay on it when it came (before payment) and it seemed perfect. It still does feel fine when I lie on my back, you can't notice the edges being raised. It's only when I assume the sleeping position and have been asleep for a couple of hours that I'm being woken by my body trying to turn in towards the centre.

It sounds like the middle is sagging, did you also get a base with it or are you using an old base?

Once way to check this quickly is to sleep on it on the floor - the floor will provide full support and if there is sag its in the mattress itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

does the 14 day distance selling directive cooling-off period apply here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

does the 14 day distance selling directive cooling-off period apply here?
    The right to cancel does not apply where a hygiene seal has been broken after delivery. If the OP removed the plastic wrappings then he lost his chance.

See Sect 13 of the European Union (Consumer Information, Cancellation and Other Rights) Regulations 2013
    (g) contracts for the supply of sealed goods that—
    (i) are not suitable for return for health protection and hygiene reasons, and
    (ii) were unsealed after delivery;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

It sounds like the middle is sagging, did you also get a base with it or are you using an old base?

Once way to check this quickly is to sleep on it on the floor - the floor will provide full support and if there is sag its in the mattress itself.

He just needs an story for the wife now ! Sorry dear the beds got termites, better sleep on the floor..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

As a matter of interest, how much did you pay. if its a 1 or 200 euro matt then ya got what ya paid for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Possibly its too heavy for the frame you are using? - Memory foam mattressees are quite a bit heavier than standard mattresses.

If there's no floor support in the middle of the frame, then you'll need to correct this. Usually quite easy with a couple of pieces of decent width wood to give support.

Also, if you haven't used memory foam mattresses before, they take some getting used to.

One final thing though - these ads for "hotel quality" have been going around for years. "Hotel Quality" means absolutely nothing. - I've been in hotels where a concrete floor is more comfortable! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Combination of stories from above.

Got a silentnight mattress from argos few years ago, it started to sag very noticably after 4-5 months. Thought it was the way you were supposed to turn it so put it upside down and back to front so to speak. Another 3-4 months and it started to sag again, only on my side though (14 st male) Got on to argos, they said get on to silentnight, rang them explained and without further ado said "we'll ship another one", no request for receipt or anything which I thought a bit strange. Gave her address and sure enough 3 days later, new mattress.

3 months later, started to sag again. Rang again, this time someone else asked what type of bed was it on, "that mattress isnt meant for that type of bed, it needs stronger lats underneath or else it will sag". oh. Argos fault but anyhoo.

put stronger lats on, flipped the mattress over, no more sag even years later, one of the kids is on it now though.

But the sag took months to develop not days. Id definitely be back on to them at least to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is this a reputable company in the 1st place?
    A lot of those I see advertising on FB are the sort that Del Boy types set up, selling cheap gear advertised as great stuff with big savings.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is this a reputable company in the 1st place?
    A lot of those I see advertising on FB are the sort that Del Boy types set up, selling cheap gear advertised as great stuff with big savings.

I checked them - and they have been around for a few years. Showroom/Warehouse based in North Dublin and Clondalkin and use FB & Done Deal for a lot of advertising. (very cost effective!)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I'd be worried buying from a place like that because of something I saw on fire safety before. Lots of black market copies out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

okay, so it pays to put something up on here because the solution came from advice I wasn't looking for at all.

When I read the posts on support, frame, extra lats etc, it occurred to me that I flipped the divan around before putting the new mattress on, so we were sleeping on the drawers end. I purposely done it for access reasons, but turns out wasn't my smartest moment obviously and these aren't as supportive as the non-drawer end. Turned it back the old way and hey presto, mattress isn't sagging.

• Advertisement

PeteK* wrote: »
    I'd be worried buying from a place like that because of something I saw on fire safety before. Lots of black market copies out there.

Unsubstantiated scaremongering. Not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

imitation wrote: »

Id check with the shop, matresses are tricky as technically they might be considered soiled after use.

Still though, you wouldn't buy a car off facebook without even sitting into it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ive bought 3 beds off Big Mickey and only ever saw one of them. The rest were bought over the phone and no one has complained about the quality.

I suppose it depends who you buy from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ive bought 3 beds off Big Mickey and only ever saw one of them. The rest were bought over the phone and no one has complained about the quality.

Mickey has no problem with you lying down and checking out his mattresses!

He went around his warehouse with me and the missus picking out our one (as I have a very bad back) for about an hour til we settled on what we needed, will be getting pretty much all our house furniture from him again as required....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I still don't think I would buy a mattress this way no matter who it was from!

km991148 wrote: »
    I still don't think I would buy a mattress this way no matter who it was from!

Well I would if I was buying a specific mattress that Id researched.

I stayed in a hotel in Clare once that had the most comfortable bed Ive ever slept in. I got the mattress name of them before I left. It was a King Koil mattress - Id buy one of them online if I knew the site was reputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

King Koil is only a brand, they have hundreds of variations

ssmith6287 wrote: »

Yes I cant remember the specific one it was, I think my point was clear though?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fieldog wrote: »

He went around his warehouse with me and the missus picking out our one (as I have a very bad back) for about an hour til we settled on what we needed, will be getting pretty much all our house furniture from him again as required....

Is it generally accepted that a firmer mattress is better for a bad back?

I bought a decent firm mattress due to sore back issues. Put the old one upstairs and still use it when on shift, and notice that my back gets worse on the softer one, better when I return to the firm one.

• Advertisement

ssmith6287 wrote: »

and proudly made in Kilcullen, Co. Kildare :)

Advertisement