Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red wine recommendation

Options
  • 29-04-2015 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a good red wine. Budget is €15-€20.

Something rich, heavy and dry is what I'm after. Rioja are a particular favourite but any any and all recommendations for different brands, types etc are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You really would be better off going into a decent independent off licence and asking the same question.
    There are probably a thousand wines on the Irish market ticking those boxes.

Give your location and maybe people could point you towards the best wine shops/off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,660 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Try some Bergerac if you can find it... same style as Bordeaux but as its name hasn't got the same recognition, your euro gets a better quality wine typically.

Also, Chocolan Blend Grand Reserva at 24e in OBriens is worth checking out, its a blend of 6 different grapes in a Bordeaux style with a Chilean twist (no Merlot, but with Carmenere, Syrah and Malbec).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

ps also, this is below your price range but worth checking out if you like that style... ALDI have a Italian Primitivo on offer for under 10e, and also if you see a Ribera del Duero and you are a fan of Rioja then that's another one to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thanks everyone for your replies, I will check out your recommendations.
    You really would be better off going into a decent independent off licence and asking the same question.
    There are probably a thousand wines on the Irish market ticking those boxes.

Give your location and maybe people could point you towards the best wine shops/off licences.
    I have gone into off licences in my locality and asked the same question, but I get so overwhelmed with the choice they have, the information they offer me, that I find it easier to look online and read reviews etc of the wines suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭limnam

If you don't live in Cork you can order online for the budget and the type of wine you're looking for you won't find a nicer bottle than this IMO

Neb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

limnam wrote: »
    If you don't live in Cork you can order online for the budget and the type of wine you're looking for you won't find a nicer bottle than this IMO

Neb

Thanks for that, going to check them out now.

Can anyone recommend a good wine review/rating website? I know of Vivino, Wine-searcher, Wine Spectator, Cellar Tracker, Decanter, but just wondering if there are any others that are recommended?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

limnam wrote: »

Neb
    They have a warehouse in Naas as well now that you can buy direct from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Even if you go to review sites, you'll still be overwhelmed. Best thing is to go with the first advice you got, ask for two to three top recommendations based on what you say you like/want and take a punt on one. If you're still unsure, get two different ones.

Also, as an alternative, if it's powerful and fruity you like, along with the Ribera del Duero recommendation (which often tend to be more austere than their Rioja cousins), you could try some of the finer wines from the Alentejo region (Setúbal reds tend to be lighter) or Douro for something lighter and more akin to Rivera de Duero.

I'm a fan of Bergerac wines, too. I also remember buying a bottle of D'Aupilhac from Languedoc. Definitely of the 'austere' variety because of the soil the vines grow in, but after letting the wine breathe for a good few hours, it really opened up and was quite incredible.

It's a shame Albrouze on Leeson St. closed down, *everything* in that place was worth drinking.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tannat, I've a bottle of Atlantico Sur from O'Briens breathing at the moment.

It needs a good 45 minutes or it's rank, but it's a lovely heavy flavoursome wine.

Actually, if you are in Dublin city centre, drop into Wines Direct outlet in Arnotts lower level (near the Abbey Street exit).

They have a small selection of their range in there (they are mostly an online operation and their Arnotts area is tiny), and you wouldn't get an overwhelming number of recommendations. Maybe 2-3 only in your price range as long as you stick to what's in store.

They have a red grape from Spain I've only just heard about, Mencia, bottle for 16.50, might be worth checking out. I picked up a bottle myself but haven't opened it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

You should try some wines from the Toro region of Spain. It´s next to the Ribero del Duero region (for which I second the above recommendations)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toro_%28DO%29

The Toro reds from there are some of the best I´ve tried in Spain, especially if you like rich, heavy, dry ones. They aren´t too widely available in Ireland.
    I see O´Briens have this one though:

http://www.obrienswine.ie/romanico.html

Another:

http://www.terroirs.ie/wines/vetus-flor-de-vetus-toro#.VVMDjo5Viko

Advertisement