Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation please!!!

Options
  • 28-04-2015 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi folks - Young lassie has to do a project about bees so I would greatly appreciate some help with the following...

Bees live in bee hives

They do very important work. They pollinate follows while collecting nectar and pollen. This helps fruits to grow.

Beekeepers mind bees. They have to wear special cloths so they don't get stung.

Some bees live in the wild in trees and barns. Other are kept in boxes by beekeepers.

Every hive has 1 queen who lays all the eggs and male bees and female bees who do most of the work.

Bees produce tasty honey.

A big ask I know.... And it doesn't have to be word for word......

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Have the had a go at it yerselves? I'll be happy to help once I get to my laptop. Posting in Irish on the mobile is awkward with autocorrect. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Ta beach Ina chonai I coirceog

Bailigh said

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

An File wrote: »
    Have the had a go at it yerselves? I'll be happy to help once I get to my laptop. Posting in Irish on the mobile is awkward with autocorrect. :o

Thanks an file... We managed to scribble a few lines down... it's done now thank god... I gave her plenty of nice Picts to paste around the sheet...

Again appreciate your kind offer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

DK man wrote: »
    Bees live in bee hives

They do very important work. They pollinate follows while collecting nectar and pollen. This helps fruits to grow.

Beekeepers mind bees. They have to wear special cloths so they don't get stung.

Some bees live in the wild in trees and barns. Other are kept in boxes by beekeepers.

Every hive has 1 queen who lays all the eggs and male bees and female bees who do most of the work.

Bees produce tasty honey.

Cónaíonn beacha i gcoirceoga.

Déanann siad obair fíor-thábhachtach. Palnithíonn siad bláthanna nuair a bhailíonn siad neachtar agus pailin. Cabhraíonn sé seo le fás na mbláthanna.

Tugann beachairí aire do na beacha. Bíonn orthu éadaí speisialta a chaitheamh ions nach bhfaigheann siad cealg.

Cónaíonn roinnt beach i gcrainn agus i sciobóil san fhiántas. Coimeádtar roinnt eile i mboscaí na mbeacairí.

Bíonn cráinbheach amháin i gcoirceog agus beireann sí na huibheacha go léir. Déanann na beacha eile, baineann is fireann, an obair eile.

Táirgíonn (déanann) beacha mil bhlasta.

Hopefully ye'll have time to add in some of those. And if ye don't, at least now I now have the vocab to chat about bee-keeping as Gaeilge! :D

Websites like tearma.ie, potafocal.com and teanglann.ie are really useful if ye're ever stuck again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Small suggestion, not sure if I can find this in a dictionary or something, but I'm pretty sure the idiom is "cealg ann" and not just "cealg" ie Chuir mé cealg ann = I stung him. So you sentence be "..ions nach bhfaigheann siad cealg iontu". Small change, but worth it IMO.

Lenition here: Roinnt bheach I think.

Another small suggestion. i mboscaí na mbeacairí could be changed to "i mboscaí beacairí", as the original doesn't demand an article, and the article implies a specific set of keeper instead of all of them in general (although I concede Irish does do use the article to convey this concept more often in Irish than in English, but in this case I tend towards removing it - most minor of changes however!).

Most of those changes are being *very* nitpicky, I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents - An File's suggestions are top notch.

Advertisement