Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contemporary desk

Options
  • 28-04-2015 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi

Does anyone know where I might source birch plywood with a facer applied? Safe and suitable for working on.

Im designing a desk (and as im not a carpenter will be getting it made for me), and I want to use something more interesting than a standard desk top surface. I also love the visible edge of this birch plywood.

I have found linoleum faced ply in the UK which would be perfect but its very expensive and delivery would be ridiculous for 1 sheet. I don't know of anywhere here that would fix linoleum to one sheet of plywood for me..

Im thinking of using "WISA Form Elephant", which has a wood/plastic composite coating. And is available in Ireland

but any other suggestions welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If your in Dublin try Woodworkers on Mount Tallant Ave, Noyeks, or Dublin plywood and veneer , for plywood and Formica , It shouldn't be too difficult to stick linoleum onto plywood as it's common enough practice on floors .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Any good builders suppliers should have Baltic/birch plywood in stock. You can stick two sheets together or cut up one 8' x4' sheet.
    Have a chat with a linoleum supplier - its not cheap stuff and I know that concrete has to be bone dry to stick it down. Your maker should allow that it might warp if stuck one one side only but you can design your way out of that.
    Go for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rozer54

If your in Dublin try Woodworkers on Mount Tallant Ave, Noyeks, or Dublin plywood and veneer , for plywood and Formica , It shouldn't be too difficult to stick linoleum onto plywood as it's common enough practice on floors .

Thinking about it now the formica option could be good..i actually never thought of it.

Any idea how much someone would charge me to cut the ply to my design (maybe 2 sheets to get a nice thick edge) and bond fomica to it...id be fiiting the desk myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

rozer54 wrote: »
    Thinking about it now the formica option could be good..i actually never thought of it.

Any idea how much someone would charge me to cut the ply to my design (maybe 2 sheets to get a nice thick edge) and bond fomica to it...id be fiiting the desk myself...

Kinda hard to do unless you have a vacuum veneer bag or a large veneer press. Regular clamps will not reach into the centre of an 8x4 , or even a 4x4.
    Formica sheet is available - my local hardware shop has it but I'm down in the sticks. It would glue down with a contact adhesive.
    You can buy plastic rings to fit over a large hole - most desks now have one of these to allow cables to access the top.

Advertisement