Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6 diesel or Mondeo diesel?

Options
  • 28-04-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,
    I'm in the market for a 2nd hand family car, I've had 3 golf car vans for work over the years and a Passat at home for last 7 years so while i love the VW's and know them inside out and trust them, I would like change.
    Ideally I'm looking for a hatchback diesel and I've been looking at 08-10 reg Mazda 6, 2 or 2.2ltr, ford mondeos 2ltr or toyota avensis...
    My heart says mazda 6 but my head says mondeo. I've read a lot of scare stories regarding the DPF on the mazda diesels causing complete engine failure, even on low mileage ones.
    I know all cars will have issues but this seems to be a regularly re-occurring problem on the mazda diesel... and i would really prefer a diesel
    can anyone tell me there experience's and if I'm just being over cautious and been made paranoid from reading to much on the internet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Stay away from the Mazda at this stage. I had one and the newer ones are better but it's always a nagging in the back of your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

I thought Mazda & Ford were the 1 company & use similar designs for both brands - certainly for Mazda 1 & Fiesta.

Do they use the same engine for Mondeo & M6 ?

Re: Avensis
    They are using BMW NZ47 engine on new Avensis. This engine had major probs for BMER customers. They say prob was sorted post April 2011 - I wonder as owners post 2011 experience probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I know it's Diesels you're after (I was too) but I just said I say that Mazda 6 Petrol's are about as sound a car you're likely to get for the years you're looking at and I'd say just as economical as the Diesels as well. I've had one since 08 and it hasn't given me an ounce of trouble yet, not as much as a rattle out of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought Mazda & Ford were the 1 company & use similar designs for both brands - certainly for Mazda 1 & Fiesta.

Do they use the same engine for Mondeo & M6 ?

They are not the same company but Ford and Mazda had a partnership up to a few years ago that involved sharing some platforms and engines. The Mazda2 and Mazda3 used the Ford Fiesta and Focus platforms respectively and shared some engines.

The Mazda6 and Mondeo used to share some petrol engines alright but Ford used Peugeot/Citroen as well as their own diesel engines whereas Mazda designed their own diesel for the Mazda6 also. Ford and Mazda no longer have a partnership so the current Mazda3 and Mazda6 have no connection to Ford models. The last connection Mazda has with Ford is the Mazda2 which is being replaced now by an all new model developed totally by Mazda.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ford/Mazda are still selling the BT-50/ranger

• Advertisement

Forgot about that yoke.

And whats WRONG with the BT Range - If it works - WHY CHANGE IT !

So is there a prob with this range ?

Pls list ur complaints rather than rubbish a car.

Thk U.

And whats WRONG with the BT Range - If it works - WHY CHANGE IT !

So is there a prob with this range ?

Pls list ur complaints rather than rubbish a car.

Thk U.

Relax there pal and chill out.

Nobody said there was anything wrong with the BT range or that it was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nfegan

Thanks for all for the replies,
    diesel mazda defiantly out of the equation then, reading too many horror stories... petrol, maybe. I really do like the look of them, but it seems the hatchback is a lot rarer in the petrol model.
    the mondeo seems to be a no-brainer... plentiful and reliable (i think)... but there's just so many of them out there they just seem a little bland now...
    @Tommy Kelly, you've had a petrol 6 for a long time now, whats are your experiences, good and bad. build quality, ride comfort, which engine have you got, average fuel consumption. service costs... etc etc... any info is much appreciated.
    Thanks guys,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

nfegan wrote: »
    Thanks for all for the replies,
    diesel mazda defiantly out of the equation then, reading too many horror stories... petrol, maybe. I really do like the look of them, but it seems the hatchback is a lot rarer in the petrol model.
    the mondeo seems to be a no-brainer... plentiful and reliable (i think)... but there's just so many of them out there they just seem a little bland now...
    @Tommy Kelly, you've had a petrol 6 for a long time now, whats are your experiences, good and bad. build quality, ride comfort, which engine have you got, average fuel consumption. service costs... etc etc... any info is much appreciated.
    Thanks guys,

I've the 1.8 petrol Executive model. If I was to describe it in one word 'solid' would be it. Apart from routine services it hasn't needed to see a garage for anything.

Like yourself I was aiming for a diesel Mondeo or Mazda 6 before I decided to go for the Mazda 6 petrol and that was on the back of a fair amount of online research (browsing forums, youtube clips, online reviews) and from word of mouth as well. I've test driven both a few times before I decided to purchase as well.

If you're looking for simplicity inside the cabin and a stylish exterior well then between the Mazda 6 and the Mondeo the 6 is your man.

I'm getting more miles per gallon out of it as well than I was out of the 1.4 petrol Golf I had prior to it.

No timing belt to be changed in it either was another thing that swung it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 nfegan

Well... I finally made a deal last night on a beautiful immaculate 2010 facelift TS2 2.2 diesel... Really hope I've made the right choice... Mileage a bit higher than I wanted 155k miles... But ex UK fleet managers car so hoping it's all motorway mileage with no expense spared on anything it ever needed.. Already spent 8 months on Irish roads, owned by a mechanic who says he's had the sump off to check oil pickup filter and says it was spotless..
    2 new front wheel bearings and service 2 weeks ago. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭RayCon

^ Wear well ... enjoy

What type of car is a TS2 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mondeo titanium x 2.2 tdci.

Nice machine put up a pic.

I wants 1 what sort of money op?

TS2 is a UK mid spec Mazda 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bazz26 wrote: »
    TS2 is a UK mid spec Mazda 6.

My bad thought op was wanting a mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

My bad thought op was wanting a mondeo

You might sometimes see a titx sport abbreviated into TXS, maybe that's where you went wrong.

Advertisement