Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys / Equipment

Options
  • 28-04-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I've been swimming for nearly a year now and I'm really enjoying it. I've started to do good distances and have work hard on my technique (with the help of a few lessons).
    I now want to introduce a few toys to break up the endless lengths. What I had in mind were the following:

1) Garmin swim watch (is it worth the purchase) or is their a better watch at that price point.
    €130. The 910 seems to be highly recommended but its €300
    2) Hand paddles. There seems to be so many to chose from, any recommendations would be
    aprreciated.
    3) Fins. Again there are so many different types, which are the best ones.

I'm currently using the Arena Cobra goggles. They are ok. Is there any other stand out goggles people swear by. I know its a personal choice and a preference thing but I'm throwing it out there anyway.
    Is there any other must haves that I have not mentioned, that would help build strength, improve technique or are just fun to use.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Before you start spending money on toys what benefit do you want to get from them, what is their purpose for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I have hand paddles I never use anymore, you can have them if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Will you ever swim outdoors? if so forget the Garmin Swim (sadly - great watch for indoor use).

1) Garmin swim watch (is it worth the purchase) or is their a better watch at that price point.
    €130. The 910 seems to be highly recommended but its €300
    - you can get a great deal on the Tri forum for 2nd hand 910XT units from time to time, circa €170 for watch or €180 for watch + HR. Doubles up as a run watch too - could be handy.

2) Hand paddles. There seems to be so many to chose from, any recommendations would be appreciated. Speedo biofuse tech paddle - nice mix of strength work and technique reinforcement, without being gigantic and hurting your shoulder. All the paddle you ever need in my opinion.

3) Fins. Again there are so many different types, which are the best ones. Finis Zoomers or Speedo biofuse. I see swimmers mostly using Finis and triathletes mostly using Speedo.

I'm currently using the Arena Cobra goggles. They are ok. Is there any other stand out goggles people swear by. I know its a personal choice and a preference thing but I'm throwing it out there anyway. Speedo FastSkin3 if you fancy going posh ;) or Zoggs Predator Flex if you want a good pool & OW goggle, get the polarised version for outdoor use. Cheap goggles are cheap for a reason.

Is there any other must haves that I have not mentioned, that would help build strength, improve technique or are just fun to use. - Centre snorkel, Speedo or Finis or Arena. Useful for drills where if you had to breathe you'd be breaking the rhythm of the drill. Good for kick sets too.

Pull Buoy - #1 swim bag accessory for many people :) perfect for those days where you're wrecked at the start of a session and just want to log some nice trouble-free yards.

Have a good look over swimkit.ie or swimoutlet.com for more ideas.

1. Snorkel
    2. Pull buoy
    3. Kick board
    4. Fins
    5. Paddles
    6. Bands
    7. Tempo trainer

Have fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mojitojoe

cassid wrote: »
    I have hand paddles I never use anymore, you can have them if you want.

Thanks for the offer. I got the paddles MojoMaker recommended.
    I know Mr.Magoo is looking for a set. He'd give you a few quid for them. Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. Just what I was looking for. Pull boy my first purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

not at all, I don't use them, he/she can have them. they are arena

okane1 wrote: »
    Before you start spending money on toys what benefit do you want to get from them, what is their purpose for you?

"that would help build strength, improve technique or are just fun to use".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

mojitojoe wrote: »
    "that would help build strength, improve technique or are just fun to use".

For me all of my training aids come from Speedo and Finis;

http://www.speedostore.co.uk/accessories/training-aids
    www.finisinc.com/all/technical

They are very useful if you use correctly but don't just use them - you will also need to swim without aids. Focus on using the aids at the start of the swim session.
    Key aids for technique & power would be;
    • Fins
    • Paddles (both power & finger)
    • Floats
    • Snorkel
    • Tempo counter

Tempo trainer best tool of them all. So surprised how handy it has been.

Advertisement