Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lumia 920 bought from Tesco Direct has fault

• 28-04-2015 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

I bought a Nokia Lumia 920 about 18 months ago from Tesco Direct and had it delivered through Parcel Motel. In the last few months, it has developed an issue that during a call the microphone is not picking up my voice and the person on the other end cannot hear me. I've attempted to clear out any dust from the mic holes at the bottom of the phone and at the top, which normally offers an improvement for a short period of time but the problem inevitably returns. From internet searches it seems this is a known issue with the 920.

I just wanted to check if anyone here had encountered and resolved this problem themselves? Or has anyone any experience of trying to organise a repair etc. from Tesco/Nokia/Microsoft? I see on the Tesco Direct site they say they offer a 12 month guarantee. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Contact a Nokia repair store, looks like you're out of warranty anyway regardless where you purchased it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

bidiots wrote: »
    Contact a Nokia repair store, looks like you're out of warranty anyway regardless where you purchased it...

Would I be wrong in thinking there's a two-year warranty across Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Did Tesco say they would repair it?

I have contacted Tesco but am still waiting on a reply from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

You can check your warranty status here.
    Even if its out of warranty, it might still be covered by EU Law.

There was a thread on the Xbox forum recently covering this area, quoting this site: http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/
    EU rules which protect consumers when buying goods and services are valid no matter where in the EU the goods are purchased and are enforceable for at least 2 years from delivery of the goods. In Ireland, there is limitation period of 6 years within which a consumer can bring an action against a trader for ‘the lack of conformity’. For example, if you order a laptop which turns out to have less memory than it is supposed to have, the problem may not be obvious to you immediately, but it is still an inherent fault in the product which the trader must remedy if you discover it within the limitation period.

• Advertisement

You can check your warranty status here.
    Even if its out of warranty, it might still be covered by EU Law.

There was a thread on the Xbox forum recently covering this area, quoting this site: http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/

Thanks a mill for that, checked on the Microsoft site and it's definitely still in warranty.

I got talking to Tesco through their webchat earlier and the rep insisted it was no longer covered by the seller despite me linking to an EU site to the contrary. He advised to ring their UK phone sales team or contact the manufacturer. I will try get on to Nokia/Microsoft tomorrow and see what they advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

You can also talk to ECC Ireland and they can get in touch with ECC UK to put manners on Tesco to take it back.

You can also talk to ECC Ireland and they can get in touch with ECC UK to put manners on Tesco to take it back.

Thanks! To be honest I didn't really press the rep I was chatting to on the matter, so hopefully can resolve it without having to resort to the ECC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

penguin88 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that, checked on the Microsoft site and it's definitely still in warranty.

I got talking to Tesco through their webchat earlier and the rep insisted it was no longer covered by the seller despite me linking to an EU site to the contrary. He advised to ring their UK phone sales team or contact the manufacturer. I will try get on to Nokia/Microsoft tomorrow and see what they advise.
    If it's definitely still in warranty, then you could probably just work with MS directly - they'll take it in and perform repairs. (Even though Tesco should be doing that according to the ECC documentation).

It comes down to whether it's more important to be right, or more important to get your phone working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

penguin88 wrote: »
    I bought a Nokia Lumia 920 about 18 months ago from Tesco Direct and had it delivered through Parcel Motel. In the last few months, it has developed an issue that during a call the microphone is not picking up my voice and the person on the other end cannot hear me. I've attempted to clear out any dust from the mic holes at the bottom of the phone and at the top, which normally offers an improvement for a short period of time but the problem inevitably returns. From internet searches it seems this is a known issue with the 920.

I just wanted to check if anyone here had encountered and resolved this problem themselves? Or has anyone any experience of trying to organise a repair etc. from Tesco/Nokia/Microsoft? I see on the Tesco Direct site they say they offer a 12 month guarantee. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm in the exact same situation as you OP. Have the phone from Tesco Direct over 12 months but less than 2. Seems to be an intermittent problem with the mic on mine too.

There is a Nokia Repair centre near to me so since it is still under the 2 year warranty they will fix free of charge. Saves the hassle of returning and trying to get a replacement/refund from Tesco Direct.

Edit: Reading here it could be a problem with the Noise cancellation mic at the top of the phone too. Going to try Cleaning out the holes for both mics. I notice now they are fairly clogged up with dirt.

• Advertisement

If it's definitely still in warranty, then you could probably just work with MS directly - they'll take it in and perform repairs. (Even though Tesco should be doing that according to the ECC documentation).

It comes down to whether it's more important to be right, or more important to get your phone working again.

Definitely not interested in being right, just want to try find the easiest option to get the issue resolved. I initally thought Nokia being taken over by Microsoft might have made the manufacturer route more difficult.
    _Puma_ wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same situation as you OP. Have the phone from Tesco Direct over 12 months but less than 2. Seems to be an intermittent problem with the mic on mine too.

There is a Nokia Repair centre near to me so since it is still under the 2 year warranty they will fix free of charge. Saves the hassle of returning and trying to get a replacement/refund from Tesco Direct.

Edit: Reading here it could be a problem with the Noise cancellation mic at the top of the phone too. Going to try Cleaning out the holes for both mics. I notice now they are fairly clogged up with dirt.

Yeh it does seem to be a widely reported issue. I've tried cleaning out both the mic at the base and the noise cancellation mic and any improvement tends to be short lived. I'm going to try all of the troubleshooting tips listed on the Microsoft site here and if no luck there will arrange a repair.

Thanks all for the advice and information.

So just to follow up on this, I ended up getting this issue repaired back in April. A second fault occurred in September which I did get repaired under warranty (just about, as I had the phone for almost 2 years at that stage) and was resolved by a main board and display module replacement.

Over the weekend, my phone started showing a SIM error intermittently (saying SIM card missing or invalid) and then eventually stopped recognising it entirely since Saturday night. Has anyone had any experience dealing with Microsoft for a Windows Phone repair outside of the two year warranty window? (I am assuming this is not going to be covered under warranty). Alternatively, I may just bring it to a phone repair shop in Dublin city centre to get an estimate of how much a repair may cost. Any recommendations of places that may have experience with repairing Nokia/Windows Lumias?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No idea.
    New Phones have dropped in price on the microsoft store. Which might be something to consider if the repair isn't free.

Cheers beauf! Have spent a bit of time this morning split between looking at repair options and new phone options. Probably a good time to pick up a 650 or even 950, but also looking at a possible switch to Android. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm on the fence I picked up an android, but don't like the OS, but everything does work, whereas my lumia was buggy. I haven't switched my sim over yet though...

I know the feeling. Love the Windows Phone interface but missing out on some apps does get tiring after a while.

I got a quotation of €80 to replace the SIM card reader and at that price, I think I'd be better off buying a new phone. Looking into a Lumia 650 or 950 on the WP side, also the Moto G4 or OnePlus X on the Android side. Am going to sit down and figure out which apps I actually would use that are missing on WP and see are they worth switching to Android over.

I got the G4, a and everything in general works much better and much faster.

But I still prefer the OS in particular the email account handling, notifications and live tiles, on my lumia. But I think there too many problems to stick with it as my main phone. If I had the money I'd buy a 950 and leave it in the drawer for 6 months and come back when they'd fixed more stuff. I might compromise and get the 650 as something to play with.

Interestingly the SatNav shows the speed limits on the Windows Phone which is invaluable. Might keep it just for that. Google maps doesn't which is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

beauf wrote: »

Interestingly the SatNav shows the speed limits on the Windows Phone which is invaluable. Might keep it just for that. Google maps doesn't which is a problem.

Ive changed recently enough to a Galaxy S6. With the whole MS takeover of Nokia Here have branched out to android.

Thankfully a fully featured HEREWeGo navigation app is now available on android, Speed limits and all.

I installed HEREWeGo but not tried it yet. Must give it a whirl.

Advertisement