Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixels to MM2

Options
  • 28-04-2015 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi there

I use a vision application to identify different objects, and their size is measured in Pixels.
    I have a number of circular finds that I need to convert from pixels to MM squared.
    They are 9, 40, 55, 71, 107 and 191 pixels (area).
    Now, it also works out that in the future, I am going to have to find objects with area's from 3 pixels to 400 pixels. Is there a way that I can convert these figures from Pixels into MM squared?
    I have measured, and a straight line distance of about 45mm is 200 pixels.
    I know its a long shot, but consider it a challenge!!
    Thanks in advance
    Jon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If your application can return the number of pixels in the image as a whole and you know the actual area of the image, not the area the image takes up on the screen, then you know the area a single pixel represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

From your 45mm line, a 45x45 square would be 40000 pixels, so 1mm^2 is 222.222 pixels. 400 pixels would thus be 1.8mm^2. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Be careful with this application, because a pixel is not a standardized unit of measurement. a Pixel on an LCD monitor and a pixel on an iPhone are both different in size and shape. Even between 2 different brands or model of monitor they can differ. This is due to pixel density, measured in ppi, and even that is a bit of a wash for you application. but it would be something.

If you can control what display is used for an application (for instance, this is for a finished product like a touchscreen coffee table or something) then its viable; if its software that will freely run on independent hardware, your feature will not be calibrated correctly and may fail.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like overheal said , pixels aren't standard. My phone has roughly the same number of pixels as my TV.

Also pixels aren't necessarily square. Measure both ways.

Some devices report their dpi , but even that won't take into account rectangular pixels

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
Advertisement