Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder insurance

Options
  • 27-04-2015 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi, so here's another childminding question for those out there who have experience of same.

I met a nice childminder today for my 2 kids (2.5 and 1) who we hope to hire 2 days per week from May until September. Her rate is €12 per hour which seems ok. Any opinions on this?

Also, in regards to insurance. I've read that if a minder is looking after children in your home she doesn't need her own insurance and that your house insurance will cover this. However, we don't currently have house insurance. And the house we are in is rented. Does anyone know what we can do with regards to this? Is there a specific insurance we can take out in this regard or do we need to go and get house insurance?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ring your insurance company and ask them.

Childminders in their own home are usually insured with Kidd insurance via CHildminding Ireland,you could also give them a call and ask about Nanny insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Moonbeam wrote: »

Childminders in their own home are usually insured with Kidd insurance via CHildminding Ireland,you could also give them a call and ask about Nanny insurance.

Thanks a million Moonbeam

Moonbeam wrote: »

Moonbeam, I rang Kidd insurance and as they are a broker they sorted me out with good house contents insurance that covers the minder and domestic employees in our house. As we only took minimal contents insurance (just to get the domestic employee insurance) it only cost us €133 for the year!
    Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Hi Sligo1, I'm sure you have done plenty of research at this stage but I read somewhere that once you have a childminder working in your own home you have to pay holiday pay etc as they are considered your employee :) I have no advise re the €12 per hour but I do know a neighbour of mine minds children in her own home for €5 per hour - its a lower rate when minding in childminder's own home as they can mind other children :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm currently looking into this and it is true that you need to register as an employer, pay PRSI, issue payslips and pay holiday pay. The going rate for at home childminding seems to be from €10-€15 per hour from what I've seen and then employers' PRSI would be on top of that. I currently have a minder who looks after my children in her home and it is a cheaper option. However, I'm weighing up things like the children being in their own environment, being able to stay at home if they're ill and us not being in a rush mornings and evenings for drop offs and collections. Apparently Revenue are clamping down on the cash in hand element of childminers in the childrens' home so it is something to be aware of.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, thanks for that. Yes have done all the research regarding PRSI etc. it seems €12 is an average enough sort of wage so we are happy with that. And she's very qualified and so far appears to have a nice way about her with the children. So far, so good. It's only 2 days per week and only a short term solution unfortunately as she will prob get a full time job in a school when the school term starts in September. My son will be starting Montessori then aswell so it will be back to the drawing board for me looking for someone to mind my daughter. But it will be easier as there is only 1 of her :).

I'm in a similar boat, it seems its always a juggle when it comes to child care!

lazygal wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat, it seems its always a juggle when it comes to child care!

I think I'm just too picky Lazygal. I think it's due to me never having left them with anyone. And I get very anxious about it. My daugiter would be fine but my son would be out the door in a second if he was left! Lol. My husband told me that I seem to be looking for Mary Poppins and that she doesn't exist!!

The girl we got is a montessori and primary school teacher. She's very nice. Pity it's not long term but I knew to expect that.

If you're not picky about your children, what are you picky about!! I'm gutted I have to find someone else, but that's the way it goes. I'm on the search right now and I've realised I got very lucky with our minder. I just need to get lucky again!

Goodluck with your search! There's so much to be said about finding someone you can trust with your children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Would haveing the childminder as a contract worker cover the prsi and various contributions ?
    Mchildminder submits an invoice and is paid the agreed amount

The searches I've done online all suggest that unless you decide to take your chances and go the cash in hand route, you need to treat the minder as your employer once they are in your home.

Just curious, but what can happen with the cash in hand route?? So many people I know have minders 3 or 4 days per week and pay them under the table!! How would any find out? I'm guessing they would be fined for doing this?

I pay my current minder cash. It's then up to her to organise her tax affairs with the Revenue. However, if I was getting a minder to my home its up to me to organise the tax end of things as then I'm an employer. I am sure there are hundreds of minders up and down the country going the cash in hand route but I have come across a case on another forum where the Revenue started asking questions when a minder finished one contract and tried to claim for the dole, and then the people hiring her had a mess to sort out. If I decide to go the minder in our home route, I'll find it less stressful to be all above board.

Yea you're dead right. Less stress all around I think...

Exactly, imagine being hit with a PRSI bill after months!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duckduck1991

I'm currently looking into this and it is true that you need to register as an employer, pay PRSI, issue payslips and pay holiday pay. The going rate for at home childminding seems to be from €10-€15 per hour from what I've seen and then employers' PRSI would be on top of that. I currently have a minder who looks after my children in her home and it is a cheaper option. However, I'm weighing up things like the children being in their own environment, being able to stay at home if they're ill and us not being in a rush mornings and evenings for drop offs and collections. Apparently Revenue are clamping down on the cash in hand element of childminers in the childrens' home so it is something to be aware of.

Scaremongering lol :)

Scaremongering lol :)

Really, why? How is it scaremongering to do things the legal way?

Really, why? How is it scaremongering to do things the legal way?

There's always a scaremonger around that insists on pointing out the "legal way"

There's always a scaremonger around that insists on pointing out the "legal way"

Again, how is that scaremongering? If you're employing a child minder in your own there's certain legal requirements.

• Advertisement

Again, how is that scaremongering? If you're employing a child minder in your own there's certain legal requirements.

Fear mongering (or scaremongering or scare tactics) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end.

Exactly what your doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Erm ... she's helpfully informing others of the right way of doing things? How is that a bad thing?

Fear mongering (or scaremongering or scare tactics) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end.

Exactly what your doing

How is pointing out the legal way of employment for a child minder in your home promulgating fear?

Advertisement