Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retirement options - teaching after April 2004

Options
  • 27-04-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

So our principal is due to retire this year. (Primary btw)
    She has 40 years service and the discussion was about the option of retiring after 35years service.
    I am the only one on my staff who began full time teaching in Sept 2004 and so have no maximum retirement age. Retiring after X amount of years service is no longer an option for me but my question is ...

If you subbed and were on the Department payroll prior to April 2004 are you eligible for retirement after 35years service?

Another teacher drew my attention to this because NQTs who subbed prior to such-a-date (don't know the date) are on a better payscale than those who entered the system later (if you remember there was an awful scramble by young teachers a few years ago to get a days sub work and have themselves registered in the system).

Could be wishful thinking on my part but just wondering if same would apply?
    The thoughts of hobbling around a classroom in my late sixties makes me shudder! Plenty are able for it but personally I would rather not have to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

I have requested clarity from payroll 3 times on this exact issue. I've been ignored on each occasion!
    I'm not sure they even know fully themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Oh that's interesting though that you didn't get a definite yes/no. I might try calling primary pensions and finding out.
    Retirement is a long way off for me but I'm curious and would need to start my AVC contribution again sooner rather than later if I was to consider retiring a few years earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

If you did not work at all as a teacher or public servant, for even a day, during the 26 weeks either side of 01/04/2004 then the revised pension applies. service prior to those 26 weeks doesnt count. Doesnt apply if on approved leave eg career break.Main point your minimum age of retirement is 65.
    you need to read circular pen 07/05. The tables on page 3 answer a lot of questions.
    In simple terms you can retire earlier but reductions apply. In some cases I would consider them severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm secondary and started teaching in 2002
    did mat leave sept 02 to Feb 03 then sick leave till june 03
    another mat leave sept 03 to march 04
    so it is my understanding that due to hours worked etc etc I am in under the "old" scheme as I made pension contributions and so on.
    I rang and requested clarity on retirement date and was told to call back .
    I emailled twice after and still have heard nothing back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

scooby77 wrote: »
    If you did not work at all as a teacher or public servant, for even a day, during the 26 weeks either side of 01/04/2004 then the revised pension applies. service prior to those 26 weeks doesnt count. Doesnt apply if on approved leave eg career break.Main point your minimum age of retirement is 65.
    you need to read circular pen 07/05. The tables on page 3 answer a lot of questions.
    In simple terms you can retire earlier but reductions apply. In some cases I would consider them severe.

The 26 weeks either side of 01/04/2004 would bring me to sept 2004? This is when I started full time.
    That to me means I was in full time employment and would not be considered a "new entrant" on the revised pension scheme???

• Advertisement
Advertisement