Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do Comptia A+ or a Linux Certification next?

Options
  • 27-04-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I'm trying to get into systems engineering and more technical support support roles.

I did the Cisco icnd1 a few months ago and aiming to do the next icnd2 either next month or the month after.

I was considering taking the Comptia A+ course afterwards to be qualified for technical support roles. However since I already have a degree in computer science and will soon have the CCNA, I was thinking that maybe it won't be worth much.

That perhaps instead I should really focus more on Linux training or a cert in security like Comptia Security+.

Given that unemployment is still high although getting better, would potential employers be interested in someone with Comptia A+ or would I just be wasting my time with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm trying to get into systems engineering and more technical support support roles.

I did the Cisco icnd1 a few months ago and aiming to do the next icnd2 either next month or the month after.

I was considering taking the Comptia A+ course afterwards to be qualified for technical support roles. However since I already have a degree in computer science and will soon have the CCNA, I was thinking that maybe it won't be worth much.

That perhaps instead I should really focus more on Linux training or a cert in security like Comptia Security+.

Given that unemployment is still high although getting better, would potential employers be interested in someone with Comptia A+ or would I just be wasting my time with it?
    I'd go with Linux, or VMWARE

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭TheDruidWizard

I'd go with Linux, or VMWARE

On a side note, does anyone know if there much difference between the Comptia Security+ and CCNA Security?

Initially I had thought about doing the Comptia A+ and then the Comptia Network+. but through research I found that more companies favour the CCNA. So I thought this would be a better cert to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Don't bother with A+ or Network+, they're worthless. Do CCNA.

excollier wrote: »
    Don't bother with A+ or Network+, they're worthless. Do CCNA.

At the moment I work as a website admin and apart from an internship in systems engineer almost a decade ago, I don't really have any desktop support experience.

To gain a job as a network technician, would it be better to get a cart in desktop support like Comptia A+ and then apply for an entry-level helpdesk support job?

Or should I continue with Cisco and look into security certificates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Linux+ if you have to choose one or the other, you'll get far more traction with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

At the moment I work as a website admin and apart from an internship in systems engineer almost a decade ago, I don't really have any desktop support experience.

To gain a job as a network technician, would it be better to get a cart in desktop support like Comptia A+ and then apply for an entry-level helpdesk support job?

Or should I continue with Cisco and look into security certificates?

I have A+ and Network+, I just landed a job as helpdesk/tech support and the employer wasn't the least bit interested in either cert. Cisco or Linux would be far more useful as stated above.

excollier wrote: »
    I have A+ and Network+, I just landed a job as helpdesk/tech support and the employer wasn't the least bit interested in either cert. Cisco or Linux would be far more useful as stated above.

Just out of curiosity, how did you land the helpdesk/tech support role?

Was it down to experience or other qualifications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Just out of curiosity, how did you land the helpdesk/tech support role?

Was it down to experience or other qualifications?

I too was hired on my CCNA background which I am trying to achieve again.

Your best bet is to get the CCNA, its a cornerstone it ain't easy to get and its a great cert to have.

Second following that apply for jobs, use that IT degree ! It ain't worthless, people will hire you but will be at level 1 for a year or two.

Thirdly head towards a MS cert maybe a server cert.

Advertisement