Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is row 1 regarded as an emergency exit seat?

Options
  • 27-04-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

First time poster to this thread so please feel free to move if it is not in the right place!

My girlfriend is pregnant but I am quite tall so want to sit in a row with extra leg room.

My question(s)
    1. Is a pregnant woman regarded as a "person with reduced mobility"?
    2. If so, can she sit in Row 1 D/E/F on this particular flight or is it regarded as an emergency exit seat even though it is behind the bulkhead?

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Hi,

First time poster to this thread so please feel free to move if it is not in the right place!

My girlfriend is pregnant but I am quite tall so want to sit in a row with extra leg room.

My question(s)
    2. If so, can she sit in Row 1 D/E/F on this particular flight or is it regarded as an emergency exit seat even though it is behind the bulkhead?

Thanks in advance

Depends on the aircraft and airline to be honest, where I work Yes it's considered an exit row and yes of course pregnant women are of reduced mobility but only for seats ABCD, EF are not restricted . You need to check with your airline, when booking you should be able to find the terms and restrictions that apply to booking row 1(if indeed any apply)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hi,

My question(s)

Thanks in advance

Treated as an exit row on most aircraft (where the configuration has a door in front) that I know of.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

As above depends on the airline and their cabin config....which airline are ye travelling with?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭davidlynchis

Sorry! I had written in the flight details but deleted them by accident!!!

It is flight EI0626 (Aer Lingus) and my googling tells me that it is a A320-214....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

It is flight EI0626 (Aer Lingus) and my googling tells me that it is a A320-214....

What date are you travelling? Yes Row's 12 and 13 on the A320 are classed as emergency exits (Rows 12AF, 13AF receive individual briefings on the operation of the overwing exits), and must be clear of all baggage be that underneath the seat in-front of you, jackets, handbags etc for take-off and once again for landing - The later also applies to Row 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Locker10a wrote: »
    Depends on the aircraft and airline to be honest, where I work Yes it's considered an exit row and yes of course pregnant women are of reduced mobility but only for seats ABCD, EF are not restricted . You need to check with your airline, when booking you should be able to find the terms and restrictions that apply to booking row 1(if indeed any apply)

Are you sure about that? Most airlines I've worked, people with reduced mobility are put in window or middle seats (except for emergency exit rows).
    I wouldn't have though pregnant women had reduced mobility until later in pregnancy, and then doctors advice might also be needed before flying (dependant on airline policy)

Row 1 usually doesn't offer much more legroom - especially on a 320, just the chance to get off before most people.

I believe EI class Row 1 as "restricted" rather than "exit". So yourself and the missus should be fine. Obviously if she is heavily pregnant (3rd trimester) and requiring a doctor's letter to travel they may have a different opinion.

Tenger wrote: »
    Obviously if she is heavily pregnant (3rd trimester) and requiring a doctor's letter to travel they may have a different opinion.

They will. Extension seatbelts can't be used at Row 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Jack1985 wrote: »
    They will. Extension seatbelts can't be used at Row 1.

Seat belts don't go over the bump - very bad idea. If she didn't need an extension belt before she was pregnant, she's unlikely to need one while pregnant.

Seat belts don't go over the bump - very bad idea. If she didn't need an extension belt before she was pregnant, she's unlikely to need one while pregnant.

That's why they go under the bump... lol :p

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that? Most airlines I've worked, people with reduced mobility are put in window or middle seats (except for emergency exit rows).
    I wouldn't have though pregnant women had reduced mobility until later in pregnancy, and then doctors advice might also be needed before flying (dependant on airline policy)

Row 1 usually doesn't offer much more legroom - especially on a 320, just the chance to get off before most people.

Yeah I'm 100% sure pregnant women are not allowed in an exit row, the potential duties/responsibility could cause harm to a women who is more vunstable when pregnant! It's logical really!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yeah I'm 100% sure pregnant women are not allowed in an exit row, the potential duties/responsibility could cause harm to a women who is more vunstable when pregnant! It's logical really!

Really? Could you outline the harm that could be caused to a woman?
    How might the airline know if a woman is pregnant or not? What if the woman doesn't know she's pregnant? is it ok then?

Really? Could you outline the harm that could be caused to a woman?
    How might the airline know if a woman is pregnant or not? What if the woman doesn't know she's pregnant? is it ok then?

If the woman is unaware she is pregnant then there is obviously nothing that can be done, likewise if it's early in the pregnancy and the woman fails to read the conditions of the exit row and or fails to inform crew then again there is little can be done. This is not to say there is no risk, exit row passengers are to be considered able-bodied passengers in an emergency, responsibilities of able-bodied passengers include operating exit doors some of which weigh in excess of 20 kg, holding back passengers while crew inflate slides assisting crew with passengers of reduced mobility and helping passengers off at the bottom of the slide while evacuating. Depending upon the circumstances of the accident or emergency assisting with the above would require physical ability and could cause harm to anybody who is frail or vulnerable and therefore it's considered a risk to the well-being of any mothers and unborn babies.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    That's why they go under the bump... lol :p

So what was your point about extension seat belts?

I think he meant that its a restricted row and therefore cabin luggage, extension belts etc are not allowed

Which has nothing to do with pregnant women.

Which has nothing to do with pregnant women.

Sorry just trying to help :)

Btw, it wasn't that long ago that crew were operating while pregnant, and the reasons they don't anymore has more to do with risks associated with exposure to cosmic radiation than pregnant women being frail or vulnerable. I'd be careful using those terms to describe a pregnant woman - it might bring out her inner tiger ;)

Btw, it wasn't that long ago that crew were operating while pregnant, and the reasons they don't anymore has more to do with risks associated with exposure to cosmic radiation than pregnant women being frail or vulnerable. I'd be careful using those terms to describe a pregnant woman - it might bring out her inner tiger ;)
    I'm not trying to insult the capabilities of pregnant women at all but it's just a fact that all responsible mothers, while pregnant take extra precautions when it comes to health and well-being such as giving up cigarettes and alcohol and avoiding lifting heavy objects, is common advice and you'll be told this by any doctor or midwife is also a reason that on public transport buses, tubes et cetera that there are designated seats for frail or elderly people and also for pregnant women it's because standing for prolonged periods lifting heavy objects, are not advised.
    The same principle lies behind restricting pregnant women from exit rows it's for their own well being and the well being of the baby

I know you're not. But most of that really only applies during the later stages of pregnancy. Plenty of women doing physically demanding jobs /sports well into pregnancy - there's no medical reasons not to if they're fit. But yes, generally airline policy is not to have them in exit rows. Equally adults who are responsible for the care of a minor are not welcome in exit rows - because in an emergency their loyalty will be to the child, and not necessarily to the door. It's probably best that abp's only focus would be the door.

• Advertisement

As I was referring to, depending on the necessity of an extension seatbelt they cannot be used on our A320's at Rows 1, 12 or 13. Should one not be required there is no basis that would not allow a pregnant women to sit at those rows. However it can also be decided upon ability also (Going back to ABPs).

You do realise plenty of women require extension seat belts during pregnancy ProfessorPlum? You seem to be taking the view they don't. You seem to have been confused by the tangent you went off on, if you read my posts it's easy to spot what I am referring too.

I have never known a pregnant woman who didn't need an extension belt prior to being pregnant, needing one while being pregnant. This is because the aircraft are fitted with lap belts - that safely and correctly go over the lap. You certainly shouldn't be doling out extension belts to pregnant women where the lap belt will properly fit over the lap. They may feel they would be more comfortable with one, but it is unsafe.

FYI, pregnant women can not sit at emergency exit seats at Row 12 & 13, contrary to what you have implied.

The OP's girlfriend should have no problem at row 1 unless she is obese and requires an extension belt in her non pregnant state.
    As for the 'tangent', there was a question of a pregnant pax in Row 1 of an A320, and you've added in tangential information regarding over wing exits, cabin baggage, and extension seat belts, all irrelevant, so I'm not sure why you're accusing me of going off on one ;)

I have never known a pregnant woman who didn't need an extension belt prior to being pregnant, needing one while being pregnant. This is because the aircraft are fitted with lap belts - that safely and correctly go over the lap. You certainly shouldn't be doling out extension belts to pregnant women where the lap belt will properly fit over the lap. They may feel they would be more comfortable with one, but it is unsafe.

FYI, pregnant women can not sit at emergency exit seats at Row 12 & 13, contrary to what you have implied.

The OP's girlfriend should have no problem at row 1 unless she is obese and requires an extension belt in her non pregnant state.
    As for the 'tangent', there was a question of a pregnant pax in Row 1 of an A320, and you've added in tangential information regarding over wing exits, cabin baggage, and extension seat belts, all irrelevant, so I'm not sure why you're accusing me of going off on one ;)

Women less than 7 months are allowed subject to suitability sit at emergency exits. I've dealt with numerous pregnant women who required a seatbelt extension, a quick google would show you that. They weren't obese for that matter either.

Can you clarify how it's unsafe? If your being asked for one because they are uncomfortable then you provide it - again this loops through the existing seatbelt on the lap, under the bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

I'd be careful using those terms to describe a pregnant woman - it might bring out her inner tiger ;)

RAWR!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously pregnant women, in the later stages of pregnancy arc not seated in emergency exit rows - at the dis reason of the cabin manager / senior. I'm not sure where you got 7 months from?
    My point about safety is where a seat belt is possioned over the bump. Seat belt injury is a significant cause of obstetric morbidity.

Obviously pregnant women, in the later stages of pregnancy arc not seated in emergency exit rows - at the dis reason of the cabin manager / senior. I'm not sure where you got 7 months from?
    My point about safety is where a seat belt is possioned over the bump. Seat belt injury is a significant cause of obstetric morbidity.

Nobody is advocating placing a seatbelt over the bump be that standard or extension, and I'm really not sure why you keep bringing it up?

Ehh. I'm not. You're the person who brought up the 'extension seat belt' gate issue. Btw, I haven't come across the no extension belt in row 1 (not an exit row) rule. Where did you find that?

I think we have answered the OP's question at this point, tangents aside.

Advertisement