Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dentist or doctor?

Options
  • 26-04-2015 8:25pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone
    Tia for reading this.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to see my dentist or my doctor. DuE to my not seeing my dentist for about three years I've a molar which is cracked on both the front and back, and now have some swelling in the gum above it

It's painful and hot to the touch and giving me a runny noise however eating and drinking on it I feel fine.

Should I see my doctor to rule out an infection or just go to my dentist? I've an irretational fear of dentists :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randel

You can either go directly to the dentist or you can go to the doctor who will then advise you to go to the dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Dentist asap
    Stheno wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Tia for reading this.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to see my dentist or my doctor. DuE to my not seeing my dentist for about three years I've a molar which is cracked on both the front and back, and now have some swelling in the gum above it

It's painful and hot to the touch and giving me a runny noise however eating and drinking on it I feel fine.

Should I see my doctor to rule out an infection or just go to my dentist? I've an irretational fear of dentists :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Haven't been able to get to my dentist due to work travel so now have a dreadfully swollen and painful gum and applying vast amounts of bonjela

Hoping to get to dentist tomorrow my face is swollen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Stheno
    Go to the dentist. Gargle with salt water.
    I've found cordosyl mouth wash great in the past for gum infections. But you must go to a dentist ASAP
    Best of luck I hatevdentists too but teeth really kick us in the ass if you ignore warning signs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lisha wrote: »
    Stheno
    Go to the dentist. Gargle with salt water.
    I've found cordosyl mouth wash great in the past for gum infections. But you must go to a dentist ASAP
    Best of luck I hatevdentists too but teeth really kick us in the ass if you ignore warning signs.

I have been gargling with salt water the past two days :)

Will be calling dentist in the morning to be fair they are very good I just had one bad experience years ago with another who made me phobic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I hope dentist sorts you out without too much bother. Tbh the financial pain is what I focus on so the actual physical pain pales in comparison!!

Lisha wrote: »
    I hope dentist sorts you out without too much bother. Tbh the financial pain is what I focus on so the actual physical pain pales in comparison!!

A few years ago I spent a fair bit sorting out my teeth then ignored them

I once went to a dentist who didn't give me enough anaesthetic and drilled away, hence the phobia

Advertisement