Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning home, MA or post 16 - What's happening with politics?

Options
  • 26-04-2015 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi, need some advice as not sure what to do.

I am an English teacher, teaching in England, wil be finished my NQT at end of this year.

I have a 2.2 in English and Sociology from UCD and a PGCE from London. I have taught EFL in Spain and Ireland for 4 years. Now, I am teaching in an inner city school 11-16 and want to start looking to come home, I have only taught post 16 on my placements.

I have no interest in hanging around for years, trying to get work. I have saved up some money and want to do a masters in public affairs and politics, next year. I have a keen interest in this field and want to achieve a higher grade than my 2.2. I am also taking this MA to increase my employability in the private sector and finally the added bonus that it may mean i can teach politics as it is rolled out over the coming years.

Giving that information, if I want to teach in Ireland in the future, do you think a masters in another field is more useful or perhaps to move to a post 16 school and spend more time in London would be more useful.

I would only really work in Dublin, what are the future prospects for returning teachers? I know these questions are all too common and very difficult to answer but I am wanting to figure it all out at moment and I can't decide what to do. My resignation deadline is May 31st and I want to have a plan before I give up a permanent job.

Any advice, be it solid, anecdotal, from experience or hypothetical is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What's a post 16 school?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Apologies, my school is only 11-16. Some schools over here teach up to 18. I mean it might reduce my chances if I have not taught up to 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

What's a post 16 school?

If you teach post 16 it means you have taught a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 erika_sy

<'mod snip>
    <no advertising>

Advertisement