Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wood for floating shelves?

Options
  • 26-04-2015 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello,

I'd like to put up floating shelves - I'll get the local DIY store to cut the pieces but would anyone have recommendations on what type of wood we should use?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

melbite wrote: »
    Hello,

I'd like to put up floating shelves - I'll get the local DIY store to cut the pieces but would anyone have recommendations on what type of wood we should use?

Thanks

The actual wood type is purely aesthetic. Its far more important to use a material that will support the intended loads. Google the 'sagulator' -it allows you to calculate the specs of the shelves for given loads and spans.
    The human eye is extremely sensitive to even a slight bow in shelves. Unless you are going to use 2" timber you will probably have to reinforce the span with two wood battens, front and back unless the spans are very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭melbite

Thanks Recipio! thats great info i'll definitely check that out.

melbite wrote: »
    Thanks Recipio! thats great info i'll definitely check that out.

No problem. I forgot to say that whenever I build bookcases I keep the spans at about 16". You tend to end up with a load of 'cubes' ( 16 wide x 16 high ) but the verticals act as bookends and you can use standard 15mm melamine or 18 mm MDF sheet board. For wider spans I'd use blockboard or 'actual' wood !

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

A few I put up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Junospider,

Very nice shelves. Is that spalted beech?

Where did you source this wood/shelves?

• Advertisement

junospider wrote: »
    A few I put up recently.

Very nice. Big chunks of wood. How did you support them. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

Cut them myself from a tree that fell here.It was down for a few years before I tackled it.
    Going to get a kitchen table made from some nicely spalted planks I have,wouldnt be confident enough to do it myself.
    I fixed them by drilling 2 20mm holes in the wall,then drove a 20mm bar in with a lump hammer,leaving about 7" sticking out.Drilled holes 8" deep in the timber making sure everything is straight,level,etc.Beat the shelves on with the hammer,protecting them of course.Top one must be 15 or 20 kg and can take my weight no problem.

Well.........they won't fall off :D
    The huge Canadian company www.leevalley.com sell bars with brackets to do just that. They just need to be screwed to the wall.

Advertisement