Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed

Options
  • 26-04-2015 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi all , doing my first ironman in lanzorote next month,my problem is i was injured from jan to march 17th and so no running,i am now up to 14 miles and runningout of training time ,my aim is only to finish in the 17hour time so my question is what strategy would you recomend re run walk to cover the distance and how much further should i try and go before may23. Also any tips re swim .Many thanks all help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

tommy mc wrote: »
    hi all , doing my first ironman in lanzorote next month,my problem is i was injured from jan to march 17th and so no running,i am now up to 14 miles and runningout of training time ,my aim is only to finish in the 17hour time so my question is what strategy would you recomend re run walk to cover the distance and how much further should i try and go before may23. Also any tips re swim .Many thanks all help appreciated

Presume the 14 miles is the distance of your weekly long run? My thinking would be that you could hit 16 next weekend and 18 the weekend after that but only if you feel comfortable following the injury. Key is balancing it so you do make it to the start line. Some people three week taper, I prefer two weeks for maras.

I was in a similar situation as you last summer. I went as far as 16 miles I think. I had a comfortable first half on the run. Second half was tough but aimed to walk the drink stopd and run in between each. It was a good goal to keep focused on. Focus on executing a good swim, steady bike and getting your nutrition in plan and you'll do as well as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

tommy mc wrote: »

If at this stage the running isn't done its not done. With a month to go you'll just injure yourself.

Whats your estimate swim time?
    How strong are you on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Agree with Tunney. Have you ever run a marathon? If so you will be fine. Concentrate on staying injury free at this stage. Too much running a month out will not achieve anything only an injury. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

Don't be worried about not having to much running distance done, its not a running race.

For the time you have left id recommend to try and get in a few long bikes followed by a run/walk/run/walk - but dont wear yourself out either - use them to plan for your race day, when your going to walk, eat run etc. Try and enjoy them, if done right those last few big days should be really enjoyable not a sufferfest.

My advise for the run on race day is to ensure you stay within your limits on the swim and especially the bike (regardless of how strong you are for either), its a tough enough bike course, avoid spiking at all costs from the start of it, for the time savings made the potential loses will be a multiple on the back end of run/walk if you have a potential weakness there due to lack of training.

When you do start the run on the day, keep a positive attitude and a smile and break it into manageable segments, wear a watch too so you can time your walk vs run pattern, also maybe factor in making it from aid station to aid station....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tommy mc

many thanks for the advice lads , apoliges for the delay in replying, i will take all ur thoughts on board and hopefully all will be ok . thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement