Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaststroke during triathlon ?

Options
  • 26-04-2015 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I have signed up for lough cutra triathlon, sprint plus distance.
    I was just wondering is it ok to complete swim leg in breaststroke as I'm not much slower swimming that way and I do save a lot of energy compare to my "bad" freestyle.

Would there be many swimmers using breaststroke or would I just embarrassed myself😁

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You probably wont be alone, but you will be in the minority, and will be obviously novice. However. Everyone has to start somewhere, and if this is what gets you around, go for it. Youll learn so much in a race situation.

I would encourage you to work on your front crawl, its where speed is. If you want to get good, you have to confront your weaknesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Yes there will be a few other swimmers doing breaststroke. Make sure you start at the back of the pack so as not to get in anyone's way. Its a pretty cold lake so you'll be in there for longer, without getting your blood pumping too much, so be prepared for that.

As for embarrassment- doing breaststroke in a Tri swim is the equivalent of walking the run section. If you're happy doing it, why care about what others think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you can front crawl at a similar speed do it. You'll be able to get a draft with front crawl do will finish much faster in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Don't be afraid to alternate between the two either. You could try do 1 or 200m front crawl once you get going, it'll be less of an issue mentally if you race again. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Ill definitely give front crawl a go for 200m maybe more, i still have 4 weeks to practice��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I breast stroked most of my first sprint. A guy passed me on his back a one stage. I went off too hard and the thought of raising my hand for help went through my mind a few times but managed to get through it. Get yourself to some open water over the next month (not alone) and should remove at least one unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If you alternate between freestyle and breaststroke, make sure you save the breaststroke sections for going around the buoys.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Actually in Lough Cutra you swim out into the lake so a bit of breast stroke will be no harm to help sight the buoys. Nothing worse than swimming 50m in the wrong direction because your not looking where your going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

i did breaststroke for the majority of my first sprint triathlon. its harder to breast stroke in a wetsuit but you will still get around no probs. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Its a race, whatever gets you from point A to point B the quickest.

I would regularly switch between strokes depending on conditions, breast stroke can be very useful for rough conditions aids breathing, sighting and use less energy Imo but longterm the aim should be to be able to complete the distance in your fastest stroke and then take the conditions into consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

OP I'll be there too (400m swim, whichever one that is) and I'll not be surprised to be resorting to at least some breaststroke. I'll be starting from the back, some people will probably grumble and say I'm a plonker for entering without being able to do it all front crawl but IMO it's about where you're going to more than where you're starting from.

Advertisement