Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

career guidance job

Options
  • 26-04-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'll move this to Teaching and Lecturing where people might be better placed to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That sounds a little suspect tbh. Are you teaching in the school already?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

There used to be ex quota posts for guidance counsellors but since 2012 they no longer exist. It's up to each school whether they provide specific posts for careers and guidance. So it's no different than if you were asked to teach another subject in September. The question may arise around your qualifications to offer counselling but if it's only careers I doubt it would be an issue if you are enrolled in the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I can't see it being an issue. Guidance counsellor hours come from the main teacher allocation now. It's up to schools whether they provide a full 22 hours, none at all or something in between. A teacher has left your school and the hours have been absorbed by an existing teacher, you.

The only issue that could potentially exist is if there is a teacher on staff with you who already holds that qualification, then they could lay claim to the hours. Other than that I'd say it's yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Rainbowtrout has said it. If there is someone with the qualification on staff then not it may be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I would imagine there might be some animosity if the position is offered to one member of staff without other staff members being given an opportunity to express an interest.
    Maybe it's just the school I teach in, but I would think there'd be other staff members who may also be interested if they knew the position was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Agree with gailgebeo, especially since you're being offered it on the condition that you secure a place on the masters - other people might want to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If you get a job as career guidance I'd be very surprised if mental health issues dont come across your desk. Consider other short courses in councilling as you go along. It's a bit precarious putting someone in that position with zero qualifications. Thats probably besides the op's point but its what id be wondering if one of my colleagues got the CG job without any training/quals.

Advertisement