Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carwings

Options
  • 26-04-2015 8:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone use carwings on the Leaf?

Is it a subscription service, or included?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rulad

It is included at no extra cost at present. After the novelty wears off the benefits seem less attractive. It can be difficult to get connection too.

It is included at no extra cost at present. After the novelty wears off the benefits seem less attractive. It can be difficult to get connection too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ok, thanks. So, how is it set up first day? I assumed it would work out of the box, but it doesn't appear to. Something the dealer does maybe?

Yes, dealer sets it up. It took about 10 days to come live for me. Great car, and makes for enjoyable driving. Good luck with it

Yes, dealer sets it up. It took about 10 days to come live for me. Great car, and makes for enjoyable driving. Good luck with it

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

At first its a little buggy. After a week or so it seemed to work reliably for me, now i use it on a daily basis. Make sure you're logged in to the car too and if it still doesn't work, wait a few more days. Also, sometimes I have to login to the carwings app(on android) twice or wait 60 seconds for the range/charge to update properly, even after the app displays that its been updated without actually updating. :)

carwings is brilliant, can be really handy but it's not 100% reliable but it's working fine for me for the last few weeks.

The ability to send GPS coordinates from your mobile or Chrome to the Leaf Sat Nav is absolute class !

Find a spot on google maps and send to the Leaf, just brilliant ! You need to use the send to car app for android.

I can't emphasis the brilliance of being able to remote start the heater in winter and while the timer function is great on it's own, and at times when you just head off somewhere, there is nothing like being able to start the heater on a cold night especially when it's frosty, you just get into the car and drive away, no ice or fogged up windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arse_jackeen

rulad wrote: »

Just got my Leaf on Saturday. carwings was down for the weekend due to maintenance. I needed to call the Nissan carwings support and they said the SIM in the car had to be activated by them. Now working. App is a bit flaky. Still getting used to it.

So, I got the SIM activated, and it started working, and then stopped. I find it very flakey so far. Plus, I can't figure out why the units are wrong on some displays. Android and iphone app are showing miles (incorrectly... as in showing 51 miles, when it shoud be 51 km), website and ipad are showing km. There's no option to change settings, and I can't tell where its' pulling it from.

I'll give it another couple of weeks, and see how it goes.

On the plus side, the navigation system is bang up to date for my area. Better than apple maps, google maps, tomtom maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

pwurple wrote: »
    So, I got the SIM activated, and it started working, and then stopped. I find it very flakey so far. Plus, I can't figure out why the units are wrong on some displays. Android and iphone app are showing miles (incorrectly... as in showing 51 miles, when it shoud be 51 km), website and ipad are showing km. There's no option to change settings, and I can't tell where its' pulling it from.

I'll give it another couple of weeks, and see how it goes.

On the plus side, the navigation system is bang up to date for my area. Better than apple maps, google maps, tomtom maps.

Carwings is implemented terribly.

The SIM in the car is from Telenor and it's roaming here, so it can use Vodafone or o2/Three but all traffic goes back to Norway before going to a server in Japan via a VPN tunnel. The latency and packet loss is enough that the VPN often falls apart. The car symbol with the waves coming toward it is the indicator for when the car thinks the VPN is up (there is a back off mechanism which the display of this symbol does not account for, so it may just mean that the car HAD a VPN connection 5 minutes ago).

The crappy flash based carwings website uses the UK regionalization for the Irish users (in fact until october of last year the Irish users were on the UK server), and that's why you get the Miles instead of the proper km. BMW's connected drive site has the same issue, but at least it's not flash and connected drive works more reliably. BMW i remote on mobile shows the right units.

For the Leaf I tended to use the third party apps like Leaf Manager or OpenWings, they were more reliable, but still hamstrung to an extent by Nissan's terrible implementation of the server and car side.

Carwings is a lot better than in January when I got the leaf, at peak times though you might have to refresh 5 times before you see the charge of the Leaf.

In actual fact, sending the preheat command to the leaf seems to work regardless of whether the confirmation comes through or not.

Carwings is a lot better than in January when I got the leaf, at peak times though you might have to refresh 5 times before you see the charge of the Leaf.

In actual fact, sending the preheat command to the leaf seems to work regardless of whether the confirmation comes through or not.

It's a shame really. I assumed it worked via wireless connection to your house. Would have been a nicer implementation.

I might feed it back.

Maybe Leaf II will have WiFi but it might not reach from the house.

I don't know if it will be free forever.

But as I said, usually remote heating and charging works regardless of whether you get the confirmation or whether refresh works or not. but not always. Again, I find it a lot more reliable now.

Advertisement