Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa: Cambodia & Vietnam

Options
  • 25-04-2015 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Travelling to the above in June, can anyone reccomend the easiest way you get a Visa for both countries, there seems to be some conflicting information online

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I was in both 7 years ago.
    Pretty sure you get the Cambodian visa on arrival.
    The Vietnamese one involves sending your passport off to the embassy in London. Takes about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

sebcity wrote: »
    I was in both 7 years ago.
    Pretty sure you get the Cambodian visa on arrival.
    The Vietnamese one involves sending your passport off to the embassy in London. Takes about 2 weeks.
    Loads of VOA services available for Vietnam. Needs to be applied for in advance but you don't have to send your passport away.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Cambodia is Visa on arrival.

For Vietnam I used this website http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/ last year.

They will issue you a letter and a confirmation document. You use both to get a Visa on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Cambodia is visa on arrival but you can save yourself some hassle by getting the evisa, print off two copies, one for arrival and one for departure.

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ - For Evisa.

I've read that the Vietnamese embassy in Cambodia will do a visa pretty much there and then, maybe 1 day turnaround and it should be cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just be aware that if you plan to reenter Vietnam then you'll need a multi entry visa. Also be wary of the Cambodian border crossing, they will tell you that you have to pay a fee, but that's not true. They are just pocketing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

If you are crossing into Vietnam from Cambodia, you need the visa for Vietnam before you go as you can only get an evisa on arrival in an airport. If you are flying into Vietnam and then Cambodia you could just apply for you evisa online and then sort everything else out when you get there.
    I got my Cambodian visa at the border and only took me about 30 minutes to get across (from Thailand)

Enjoy, they're 2 really amazing countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

If you are in Cambodia first, you can get your Vietnam visa at the embassy in Vientiane. takes 24 hours.

I was with a few people who had paid for a visa online and when they arrived at the airport in Hanoi they were made to pay extra. With the lack of english at the airport and risk of getting rejected they had no option but to pay.

Getting the Visa in Cambodia was painless and I have the official visa on my passport now which is pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

If you are doing Cambodia first you can organise your Vietnam visa when in the country. Most tour operators / large hostels in the main cities will do it for you. Or you can go to a Vietnamese embassy and do it yourself, but getting someone else to do it will cost an extra $5 and is worth it to not sit in an office all day. I did it a few days ago in Sihanoukville, gave in my passport to a tourist office on Sunday evening and had it back by 5pm the next day with the visa.

For both visas you will need passport photos so bring a few over with you!

If you are in Cambodia first, you can get your Vietnam visa at the embassy in Vientiane. takes 24 hours.

I was with a few people who had paid for a visa online and when they arrived at the airport in Hanoi they were made to pay extra. With the lack of english at the airport and risk of getting rejected they had no option but to pay.

Getting the Visa in Cambodia was painless and I have the official visa on my passport now which is pretty cool.

Hate to be pedantic but Vientiane is in Laos, I think you mean Phnom Penh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thanks to all for the replies, will get this sorted out over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Hate to be pedantic but Vientiane is in Laos, I think you mean Phnom Penh?

Yeah my bad. I got my countries mixed up, visa got in Vientiane then onto Vietnam. Same process no doubtably applies to embassies in Cambodia.

Yeah my bad. I got my countries mixed up, visa got in Vientiane then onto Vietnam. Same process no doubtably applies to embassies in Cambodia.

As far as I know same process in PP but it may be cheaper in Laos. The price charged seems to be up to the local embassy.

As far as I know same process in PP but it may be cheaper in Laos. The price charged seems to be up to the local embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭cinloom

For the visa to vietnam i send form to the vietnamese embassy

Following email i send them last year they ask for :

- 2 passport photographs
    - Photocopy of passport page (do not send us your passport).
    - 1 self-addressed envelop (no stamp needed)
    - A cheque covers the appropriate visa fee and postage charge made payable to Embassy of Vietnam.

POSTAGE CHARGE and Handling fee for posting your visa: £8 for one VISA; between 2-3 VISA: £6/each VISA; between 4-7 VISA: £5/each VISA.

Visa fees are as followed:

Tourist Visa:
    - 30 days, single entry: £59 (regular process takes 5 working days). Express service: £74 (2 day service), £80 (next day service).
    - 30 days, multiple entry: £90 (regular process takes 5 working days). Express service: £110 (2 day service), £120 (next day service)
    - 90 days, single entry: £90 (regular process takes 5 working days). Express service: £110 (2 day service), £120 (next day service)
    - 90 days, multiple entry: £110 (regular process takes 5 working days). Express service: £130 (2 day service), £140 (next day service)

Hope it help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm thinking of Cambodia, too. Excuse the basic nature of the question - if your airport layover on the way there is somewhere like, say Bangkok, do you need documentation for it (aside from a passport)? Presume not if you're not actually leaving the airport.

I'm thinking of Cambodia, too. Excuse the basic nature of the question - if your airport layover on the way there is somewhere like, say Bangkok, do you need documentation for it (aside from a passport)? Presume not if you're not actually leaving the airport.

If you are just connecting to another flight then no you don't need any documentation while you are in Bangkok airport so long as you don't actually leave the transit area, ie don't pass Thai immigration. I'm presuming your flight lands in Bangkok international(airport code BKK), I say this as there is a short haul airport in Bangkok called Don Mueng(DMK) which Air Asia mainly fly out of.

Usually a good but cheaper to fly out of there, in that case you would need to clear Thai immigration but all you need to do is fill out a visa on arrival form on the plane and queue up at immigration. You'd be as well off spending a few nights in Bangkok anyway.

Advertisement