Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed versus the Environment

Options
  • 25-04-2015 6:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭

Most large modern airliners operated using a speed calculation called "ECON", this calculates the most cost effective speed for that flight based on the present conditions and a magic number called the "Cost Index". Generally speaking, Cost Index = 0 equals Maximum Range Cruise and Cost Index = 500+ equals Maximum Speed (MMO). (Figures might be slightly different between Boeing/Airbus)

We have seen years where airlines have used LOW CI valves to save as much fuel as possible, this had the secondary result of being beneficial to the environment.

In the last few days, one of the big ME carries has decided that their B777 fleet will use CI=400 ie fast (with few exceptions), I dont know if they are just trying to benefit from the present low cost of fuel, or trying to get cut down on crew hours, but either way, they are burning a lot more fuel than required.

So for all you FR24 monitors, look out for this, you are about to see the fastest B777 flights ever!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

smurfjed wrote: »
    Most large modern airliners operated using a speed calculation called "ECON", this calculates the most cost effective speed for that flight based on the present conditions and a magic number called the "Cost Index". Generally speaking, Cost Index = 0 equals Maximum Range Cruise and Cost Index = 500+ equals Maximum Speed (MMO). (Figures might be slightly different between Boeing/Airbus)

We have seen years where airlines have used LOW CI valves to save as much fuel as possible, this had the secondary result of being beneficial to the environment.

In the last few days, one of the big ME carries has decided that their B777 fleet will use CI=400 ie fast (with few exceptions), I dont know if they are just trying to benefit from the present low cost of fuel, or trying to get cut down on crew hours, but either way, they are burning a lot more fuel than required.

So for all you FR24 monitors, look out for this, you are about to see the fastest B777 flights ever!

All fleets using CI400, not just the 777.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

777s or not, if most are using it then won't it just lead to congestion at airports as flights (especially long-haul) arrive earlier than scheduled and find their stands still occupied? Or will they just take off that bit later?

FWVT wrote: »
    777s or not, if most are using it then won't it just lead to congestion at airports as flights (especially long-haul) arrive earlier than scheduled and find their stands still occupied? Or will they just take off that bit later?

It doesn't make a massive amount of time difference actually.
    On a 7hr 30min flight, the difference between ECON and M0.86 will be about 12-15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

It doesn't make a massive amount of time difference actually.
    On a 7hr 30min flight, the difference between ECON and M0.86 will be about 12-15 minutes.

So why do it then? Surely it's a large cost for saving just a few minutes' crew-time?

FWVT wrote: »
    So why do it then? Surely it's a large cost for saving just a few minutes' crew-time?

4000 pilots...
    5 mins saved per average flight...
    Maybe 1 hour per pilot per month over 12 sectors..
    That's 4000 hours saved per month overall...
    That's 44 90 hour bidlines extra.

Back of a fag packet calculations.. But you get the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

That's 44 90 hour bidlines extra.

At a cost of how much fuel? For me the logical thing would be to improve the treatment of the pilots so that they improve retention as well as make it a desirable place for people to work. With talk of only a handful of people showing up for employment open days, it clearly shows that their system is broken!

What's next, 100 hour in the seat lines?

smurfjed wrote: »
    At a cost of how much fuel? For me the logical thing would be to improve the treatment of the pilots so that they improve retention as well as make it a desirable place for people to work. With talk of only a handful of people showing up for employment open days, it clearly shows that their system is broken!

What's next, 100 hour in the seat lines?
    Yes, that would be the blindingly obvious logical thing to do....
    But you know yourself.... Logic?

To quote someone from the "dried fruit" site..... "it's like watching a drunk man trying to put out a fire with a petrol soaked rag"!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

But you know yourself.... Logic?

To quote someone from the "dried fruit" site..... "it's like watching a drunk man trying to put out a fire with a petrol soaked rag"!

So now I have coffee on my tie! :D

Advertisement