Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fondest memory of the 2014/2015 season

Options
  • 24-04-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

What was your fondest memory of the past season?

For me it was in Les Arcs, on a really nice cruisey red (I think), it was a gorgeous day and the snow cannons were switched on, I was riding at the edge of the piste so I was going from packed snow, to fresh, to packed for a kilometer or more, or so, at a very nice speed, with some groovy tunes playing on my headphones. It's times like that you don't miss the office :D

Off-slope, I found Fattes' drama-filled meltdown quite amusing, I must confess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Day two in Whistler riding the best powder I have ever seen coming down Peak, those first few carves and boosts off pillows and cliff drops. Followed up by SAVAGE tree runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Having a powder bowl to ourselves right off a lift in Flaine that ended at the start of the lift. And doing it 3 times, each one a new line.

Getting back for lunch at the UCPA and all that was left was dessert, I was so happy!

Lounging on deckchairs on the sun terrace, soaking up the rays, having a recharge before an afternoon ski.

Playing bowling in Les Deux Alpes and hearing Master of Insanity by Black Sabbath come on, the barmaid was bang on with her choices ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Oh Cormee, I burst out laughing at your last line hahaaa!! ;-)

Mine was definitely Friday April 11th, the day before the lifts closed. I wasn't even supposed to be in Soll, but I was up in Frankfurt after a CRAP week (got stuck in Amsterdam & had all sorts of transport disasters with the storms), so I decided to change my flight and jumped on a train from Frankfurt to Kufstein. It was still an epic journey (just for the day!) but it was SO worth it!! Amazing conditions, and empty slopes. No ski school, so everyone was in flying form. One of my favourite ski days EVER. Aaahh, the nostalgia :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Finally having the balls to book at last minute when I knew conditions would be good, myself and a mate both found a gap in our diaries, booked flights at midnight the day before, airbag guide and 30cms fresh was our reward, don't think I'll go back to the pre-planned trip! Managed to pick up work while away and sort it so as to pay for the whole trip too. Whole thing was like some kind of skiing based "WKD" ad.

Highlight of that highlight was prob the last 2000m odd descent with the sun setting on the Matterhorn, earphones in, slopes empty, wide off piste skis bossing the run down!
    cormee wrote: »

What did he leave about in the end? Will be less of a forum without him next Winter unfortunately, for better or worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Fattes was always contributing , every thread he made suggestions and tried to help.

With the allegations made and the division on the forum , ive stopped posting.

The comment made at the start of this thread have re-enforced that decision.

Its a forum for discussing winter sports not having a public spat with other posters and certainly not for gloating over the removal of such posters with smarmy comments.

I suggest the MODS ( if any exist on this forum) take action to stop the pettiness and restore the forum to discussion on winter sports otherwise it may as well be deleted, activity has noticeably dropped since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

a148pro wrote: »
    Finally having the balls to book at last minute when I knew conditions would be good, myself and a mate both found a gap in our diaries, booked flights at midnight the day before

I think I'll be doing that for my second trip in future years. I Ind of like the countdown and researching etc. of the first trip.

hawkwind23 wrote: »

With the allegations made and the division on the forum , ive stopped posting.

What allegations?!

fannymagee wrote: »
    What allegations?!

im not getting into it , was what was said on a thread on Soll that was removed by the Mods. Ive no interest in it nor taking sides.

Im more interested in chatting about skiing and the likes not being confronted and drawn into silly arguments.

Something is wrong when a regular poster withdraws , its a loss to the forum regardless of opinions.

im not getting into it , was what was said on a thread on Soll that was removed by the Mods. Ive no interest in it nor taking sides.

Im more interested in chatting about skiing and the likes not being confronted and drawn into silly arguments.

Something is wrong when a regular poster withdraws , its a loss to the forum regardless of opinions.

The issues on the Soll thread were resolved early in the season. This was about a dispute about Avalanches in the banter thread. Nothing to do with Soll, I'm pleased to say! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

What was your fondest memory of the past season?

For me it was in Les Arcs, on a really nice cruisey red (I think), it was a gorgeous day and the snow cannons were switched on, I was riding at the edge of the piste so I was going from packed snow, to fresh, to packed for a kilometer or more, or so, at a very nice speed, with some groovy tunes playing on my headphones. It's times like that you don't miss the office :D

Was either last run of my trip off piste in hintertux singing radiohead songs for about 5km or same area, tomahawk, head in 2ft snow, gopro snapped off, mild neck injury, bit of a concussion, good times. Can't wait to go again.

Don't recall the other thing on the banter thread.

• Advertisement

Was either last run of my trip off piste in hintertux singing radiohead songs for about 5km or same area, tomahawk, head in 2ft snow, gopro snapped off, mild neck injury, bit of a concussion, good times. Can't wait to go again.

Don't recall the other thing on the banter thread.

Your tomahawk was a highlight?!! Haha hardcore! :)

Had a run like that two years ago, the sun was starting to set and the slopes had cleared off, it was 5-7k long on a blue/red, non-stop the whole way down, from the Roc des Marches in Les Menuires right to my doorstep in St. Martin, with St. Etienne "Cool Kids of Death" playing on my headphones iirc. What a way to finish a holiday. :D

Didn't have the mild concussion or neck injury, must try that next time, thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Last day of skiing for me was my highlight, it had been dull and cloudy all morning, had just been hitting afew lower runs and popping into the jump parks with afew boarders, bit of craic but nothing spectacular, anyways it started to clear alittle in the afternoon and I was itching not to waste my last day, so I said I'm going to risk heading up to one corner with afew reds that I hadn't bothered with before, and my luck was in, got above the clouds very quick, bit of fresh powder and almost nobody on the slopes! I was gunning it to enjoy my last hour or so in skis, so totally bombed it down every slope, I guess breaking every rule which tells you dont hit that last extra run because thats when your going to mince yourself ha.

Off the slopes it was the totally random banter the whole week with a ridiculously sound bunch of people who I'd all only met over there that week, I'll admit that I was concerned in the few days beforehand that I'd be well out of my comfort zone stuck with weirdos or just french people (and very little french ha), however that couldn't be further from the true, I'll happily go on random solo UCPA trips again definitely!

UGHHHHH 8/9months at least till I get to put on a pair of skis again.

I've just had a fond memory of starting an evening with a beer & schnapps from a certain AlternateID, which went straight to my head and resulted in a longer than expected night on the town haha ;-)

ive stopped posting.

Fattes should come back and you should stay, life's too short for this crap, and ski season is too short for Ireland to maintain a forum without ye

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I've just had a fond memory of starting an evening with a beer & schnapps from a certain AlternateID, which went straight to my head and resulted in a longer than expected night on the town haha ;-)

Good times Fanny. I miss the snow. :(

:eek: @ AlternateID - leading married women astray!

I'll be doing a decade of the rosary for the pair of you.

Fattes should come back and you should stay, life's too short for this crap, and ski season is too short for Ireland to maintain a forum without ye

I hope he does come back , answered every post and was the backbone of the forum.
    Ive seen it before on forums when regulars get pushed out and its never the same.
    As i say im having nothing to do with it and dont even know what really happened, i just want everyone to get on :)

In the spirit of the thread ,
    totally owning a ski resort for a week was the highlight!
    was mornings i didnt see another person for hours it was that empty , Paganella Dolomites.
    Really improved the skiing and confident anywhere on the mountain now , 4 hours daily lessons for a week did that!
    Bought the essential boots and cant wait for next season to get using them :)

big negative was crazy queues in Poland over half term and a mighty fall in Italy , whiplash and tore loads of internal muscles in my stomach , took near 3 weeks to get over it!
    Again landed on my head and smashed helmet , so cant state it enough , the helmet saves lifes! wear one

:eek: @ AlternateID - leading married women astray!

I'll be doing a decade of the rosary for the pair of you.

Haha thanks for the rosary Cormee, but I'd say we're safe enough!! I introduced the two men so there were no ski-poles at dawn ;-) Anyway we're not married- everyone knows a ski instructor is for a season, not for life!! We both have reputations to live up to ;-)

Haha thanks for the rosary Cormee, but I'd say we're safe enough!! I introduced the two men so there were no ski-poles at dawn ;-) Anyway we're not married- everyone knows a ski instructor is for a season, not for life!! We both have reputations to live up to ;-)

Edit: HE has a reputation to live up to. Mine is pure as the driven snow ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭I dont know

I don't contribute too often, but been a lurker here for years and appreciate the input from many of the regular posters

My fondest memory of the season, like many, was on my last day (in Val d'Isere) and just letting rip on every slope. 4 of my group headed back to the village busted at lunch time leaving just myself and another mate. The two of us covered more ground that afternoon than we had on any whole day that week. No holding back, no waiting on others and just going as fast as we possibly could while still in control.
    Its an unreal feeling, can't wait til next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

My 3 memories were

1 - Val Disere in December - friday night. Best fun, best people. My heart will forever be in Val...

2 - Boarding waist deep pow somewhere miles off piste in cham hitting and landing 3 6' jumps in a row...

3 - coming down thru the trees in italy watching my mates absolutely ripping it up, and almost being able to follow them!

Disappointed that Fattes has left. i remember it happening but not sure what exactly went on as i dont get involved in those things anymore. really wish he would come back...

Dr Nic wrote: »
    My 3 memories were

1 - Val Disere in December - friday night. Best fun, best people. My heart will forever be in Val...

2 - Boarding waist deep pow somewhere miles off piste in cham hitting and landing 3 6' jumps in a row...

3 - coming down thru the trees in italy watching my mates absolutely ripping it up, and almost being able to follow them!

I have a distinct memory of being sick jealous as you managed to combine a visit to a rake of off pistey ski resorts right at the time of the biggest dump of the season. That was you wasn't it?
    I don't contribute too often, but been a lurker here for years and appreciate the input from many of the regular posters

My fondest memory of the season, like many, was on my last day (in Val d'Isere) and just letting rip on every slope. 4 of my group headed back to the village busted at lunch time leaving just myself and another mate. The two of us covered more ground that afternoon than we had on any whole day that week. No holding back, no waiting on others and just going as fast as we possibly could while still in control.
    Its an unreal feeling, can't wait til next year

Its not actually talked about much but in reality who you go skiing with is probably the MOST important factor in a trip. We all spend a lot of time wondering about what resort to go to and where to stay, but I've also spent most of my skiing career trying to find the perfect partner, with the same relentless enthusiasm and desire to ski the same stuff. Nothing more frustrating than being in a big group and having to stop and faff at every other lift / cafe / bend in the piste.

Have come close to the perfect partner once or twice but not quite there yet. Close but not quite there!

yeah we got really lucky in cham in january and also san anton. Val D in december was poor enough but who cares its Val D right!?! Pissed all week lol

Its not actually talked about much but in reality who you go skiing with is probably the MOST important factor in a trip. We all spend a lot of time wondering about what resort to go to and where to stay, but I've also spent most of my skiing career trying to find the perfect partner, with the same relentless enthusiasm and desire to ski the same stuff. Nothing more frustrating than being in a big group and having to stop and faff at every other lift / cafe / bend in the piste.

Have come close to the perfect partner once or twice but not quite there yet. Close but not quite there!

That is so true. Always ski with someone better than you is a pretty good rule of thumb, IMO. Oh God you're making me want to go skiing!!!

The OH is heading off on a disability instructors course tomorrow for a week. I wasn't particularly jealous- till now!!

I miss the ski buddies as much as I miss the snow. Everyone walks weird in the Summer, takes a while to get used to haha ;-)

That is so true. Always ski with someone better than you is a pretty good rule of thumb, IMO. Oh God you're making me want to go skiing!!!

The OH is heading off on a disability instructors course tomorrow for a week. I wasn't particularly jealous- till now!!

I miss the ski buddies as much as I miss the snow. Everyone walks weird in the Summer, takes a while to get used to haha ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I was only able to get out once this season. St Anton with 11 others in early January. Great trip. Couldn't handle the lack of potential skiing so ran away from the forum, packed away my skis and gear and pretended skiing didn't exist until today.

Decided to come back to the forum this week, good to see so many people had a blast.

Off topic, but crap to see a lot of the early season bickering boiled over. I know from PMs to certain posters over time that they had incredible knowledge and offered a huge amount. A lot of people on the forum this season needed to accept the difference between their opinion and fact and generally chill out.

Anyway, looking forward to trying to get 10+ people together over the next few months and get the next trip organised. Hope everyone got back from their trips in one piece.

Advertisement