Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High end Quartz watches

Options
  • 24-04-2015 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I know this might sound like an oxymoron to the purists here, but I'm thinking of changing my Omega Seamaster 120m Quartz for another high end quartz watch.
    My question is, is there any of the big players other than Omega that do mens quartz watches?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Seiko BFK might be worth a look, I think some of the prospex range have the same movement. Perhaps not your style though. Quartz accuracy with maybe 8 years battery life, only downside is you need to wear it so that the battery doesn't run down completely.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Grand Seiko would be at the top of my list. Not a good choice if you're concerned about Joe Soap not knowing how high-end it is, but I'd be all over one of them.

Breitling have some very nice ones - their ana-digi models look a bit busy, but there's something cool about them.

Tag Heuer also do quartz too, but they wouldn't appeal to me personally.

And Patek Philippe, if you're feeling flush.
    I know this might sound like an oxymoron to the purists here

Feck them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I've a Bell&Ross quartz which is very nice! :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84289591&postcount=105

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sadly the options are few enough these days. Plenty in the vintage market, but that's another days work. If you were up for looking at vintage there is always the Rolex Oyster Quartz. Very nice bit of kit. Beautifully made movement. They had a long production run, over twenty years IIRC. Might be a bit pricey though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

Breitling colt 2 is a fab watch (on the professional 2 braclet, the brushed one) Sorry I sold mine if I am honest. High quality and bullet proof as far as I am concerned.

I bought 2nd hand for 850 in 2010 (watch wasa 2006). I wore it a lot! And I mean a lot! It was a real beater. Sold it last year for 850! So lost nothing (apart from what ever the economy stole from me via inflation). Battery had never been changed in the watch to my knowledge! 8 years strong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Omega X33 in either it's original iteration, the 2nd gen or the brand new one - you will never need an alarm clock or a kitchen timer in your life again.

Otherwise I'd be looking for a blue-dialled Rolex Oysterquartz. I believe they are still being looked after by Rolex, the case shape has the perfect mixture of heft and vintage and you'll never stop twisting the watch on your wrist to see the dial shimmer. One day you'll be mine, my precious...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One day you'll be mine, my precious...
    Get behind me satan in the queue. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Thanks for all the replies!
    Blue5000, thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really associate Seiko with the higher end of watches. I remember when they first arrived on the market and they more of a mass market watch then.
    I am looking for a new/nearly new watch so the Rolex which went out of production 14 years ago would not really be in the reckoning I'm afraid.
    I will have to do a circuit of Weir's, BT and Appleby to see what the options are.
    If I could get a trade-in or sell my own watch, it would make the decision a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

d2ww wrote: »
    If I could get a trade-in or sell my own watch, it would make the decision a lot easier.

This is the point that you mention the watch and price you want....then wait for the PMs lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

893bet wrote: »
    This is the point that you mention the watch and price you want....then wait for the PMs lol.
    Don't know about that, but if you're looking for a child's high chair, I have one on adverts.ie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

d2ww wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies!

I will have to do a circuit of Weir's, BT and Appleby to see what the options are.
    I got my Bell & Ross in Appleby's, got excellent after sales care with it too so would recommend a chat there alright. A cheaper option in there (compared to the B&R), but a very good heritage still, is Certina - e.g. they had a gorgeous multi-function watch that is quartz, costing about €700 (see attachment)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

Hi,

I may be too late to contribute now, but I have a Breitling Aerospace with UTC module that I bought new in 2003. Fabulous watch, lightweight, accurate and reliable. The UTC module is analog whereas the newer models are a digital UTC. It has a thermocompensated superquartz movement that helps make it more accurate then regular quartz as it accounts for temperature changes.
    I set my eyes on this watch about 10 years before I could afford to buy it and it was well worth the wait. Wearing it today and I attach a quick phone photo of it.

I also like the look of the Certina DS-2 with Precitime Quartz movement which is Certinas answer to Breitlings superquartz. I like the one with the green hands. http://www.onewatchforyou.com/en/ds-2-precidrive-chrono/100000203-certina-ds-2-precidrive-chrono-c0244471605102.html

Best of luck with whatever you get and I hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Anthony.....

Advertisement