Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Photos Thread Poll

Options
  • 24-04-2015 4:33am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The Random Photo Thread L had some changes to the operation. These were made to encourage more discussion about images while keeping the Random Thread clear of comments. The new rules are posted in the OP of that thread.

While these rules will remain for the current thread, the next thread will be coming soon. That will be the time to make some adjustments, hence this Poll.

The options are;
    • Leave things as they are now. Do we keep the thread as it is now with the new rules. This option changes nothing, the status quo. That is comments only allowed when indicated and those in an individual thread.
    • Make comments, when requested, in a companion thread. Change to comments being made in a single companion thread but still only when requested.
    • Change to an "Opt Out" system for comments in dedicated threads. Keep comments in a dedicated thread. Comments are allowed unless there is a request made for No Comments.
    • Change to an "Opt Out" system for comments in a companion thread. Comments in a companion thread. Comments are allowed unless there is a request made for No Comments.

Please give this some consideration and select what you think is best for the forum. Poll will be open for 10 days.

The rules for the Random Thread should be; 6 votes

Leave things as they are now.
    0%
    Make comments, when requested, in a companion thread.
    66%
    JudgeBalfey1972m5ex9oqjawdg2ibernard0368 4 votes
    "Opt Out" system for comments in dedicated threads.
    16%
    Paulw 1 vote
    "Opt Out" system for comments in a companion thread.
    16%
    M.J.M.C 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Make comments, when requested, in a companion thread.
    I'm confused...

Where's the atari jaguar option?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm a bit confused as regards to dedicated and companion threads in Options C and D.
    Are they not the same thing?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused as regards to dedicated and companion threads in Options C and D.
    Are they not the same thing?!

A dedicated thread is what we do now ie. an individual thread for comments on each photo.

A companion thread would be a single thread to run alongside the Random thread ie. one thread containing all comments that arise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any discussion allowed on your favoured option? reason i ask is that the poll results are hidden, and arguing any particular way would obviously reveal your hand...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Feel free to discuss. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fourth option; it would eliminate the inertia on creating a new thread simply to pass a possibly minor comment on a photo; also eliminates the specific issue of an 'i don't want to create a new thread simply to diss a photo' problem, which has been an issue for me. seems a bit personal to start a thread to weigh in on someone's photo.

that said, 90% of my contributions to such a thread would be 'would you ever take it a bit easy on the obvious dodging & burning?'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Option 4 for me - automatically opt-in and a single thread where you can post a quote of the photo in question if you wish to ask about it. Makes it less intimidating to both posters than having new threads opened.

I think most people are happy to answer simple questions about their shots, so it's up to them if they're not to post otherwise.

This thread closes on Star Wars Day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Before you close - again option 4 would be my choice - a parallel thread for C&C and questions.

Quite often I'd like to know a little more about a picture, sometimes the location, the EXIF, or if on film, a little about the film/dev process.

On the general information side, I'd encourage posters to put a little more detail, as they feel it needs, so the Q&A is more art/C&C, rather than "where'd you take that?".

In the past two/three years, the quality of photos on the random thread has risen quite noticeably - I'm less confident about putting up pics that I was a while back - not that I'm complaining - the work of the community here is very good, and an inspiration.

Seems fairly clear that the majority would like there to be a single companion thread and comments are allowed unless a request is made to that effect.

The OP of the next Random Thread will incorporate these changes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement