Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing ordinary

Options
  • 23-04-2015 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm seriously failing ordinary maths I really want to pass it but I just don't understand a lot what goes on. I got 13℅ in my mocks so it basicly impossible for me to pass maths I want to go to dcu and do multimedia but I'm going to do plc for a year but I'm scared if I do foundation it will effect me later on need advice on this ordinary level situation is it possible at this stage? Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

Can you afford grinds? I think it's worth it if you possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Before you get grinds ask your teacher for help.

There is very little your teacher can do to help you at this stage. If you got 13% in OL in your mocks after 14 years, a few snatched minutes with your teacher here and there, or an extra page of study notes is not going to do a whole lot for you. I think your only option is a good grinds teacher, and minimum 10 hours grinds, and let them advise you from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Watch video tutorials, and just keep practising papers. I failed my mock last year, 38% and i went up to a C3. If you can afford grinds, you probably should get them, but if you cant follow the above advice. Do questions, and ask your teacher to mark them. Do an extra 45 Minutes a night of maths from now to your leaving.

It's only 5/6 more weeks until your exam starts, so put the work in now, and don't worry about repeating maths. Unfortunately, a lot of courses required maths, as an entry requirement. So you do need to pass it.

Leaving Cert Maths Tutorials

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

get grinds from now till the exam.

IF YOU FAIL
    take a year out,work part time and repeat maths next year on its own,put your mind to it.if you really need it.
    i failed and did this,went from 21% to 77% on the repeat.

i couldnt make sense of anything.

if train x/2 - 6=44mph then what is train 2 divided by 67mph/T??
    havent been on a train since i left school..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Chrisleapp

So it would be impossible for me to pass ordinary maths without a tutor even if I work extra hard

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Chrisleapp wrote: »
    So it would be impossible for me to pass ordinary maths without a tutor even if I work extra hard

You could try you-tube tutorials but if your having issues understanding the principals then doing it on your own wont really improve you how you need, saying that a good teacher could make the difference to get you a pass, once you start to understand things it will become easier

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's too late now, I suppose, but you should never leave a Maths class not understanding something. It's one of the subjects where if you miss the basics early on, it just gets more and more impossible.

A couple of grinds might sort out the basics for you and then a great deal of work might make a difference, but I doubt you can do it on your own.

As a maths teacher (and without knowing you), I think it would be close to impossible to pass OL without a tutor at this stage. You should learn as much in an hour with a good tutor as you could in 3 hours alone. Passing maths is so important, and you say you want to eventually go to DCU, so I would say borrow the money if you have to and get a good tutor. You can do the other things mentioned - youtube videos, working extra hard in maths class, practising papers, asking your teacher for help - also, but you have to have the basics right so you can build on that. I know good tutors are probably at least 40+/hour, but I'd say if money is tight, and you contact one and offer them 250 or 300 for 10 lessons and explain that's all you have and you're desparate, they wouldn't turn you away if they have half a heart.

Advertisement