Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rankings as it stands. Only Georgia hall is ahead of her on the world rankings. But a shed load ahead of her on the european points list. Will depend whether the world rankings or european points list carries more weight

She is a certainty for the team let's just agree on that. No need for any speculation. 100% certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Only 2 places from LET tells us what we want know.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

2 from LET rankings. Then 4 from World Rankings and then 6 captain’s picks. Even if she doesn’t overtake Hall or Reid on World Rankings, she’s a certain captain’s pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

I see she’s about 12-15th in bookies odds, 20-25/1. Puts her medal prospects in a bit of context. But still, I have a feeling she may well contend.

• Advertisement

51 from South Korea or USA in the top 100 in the world rankings. Only 8 can play, strips the field down nicely from the regular big events.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Saw she was 15/2 to win a medal so just had a dabble out of patriotic pride! Only fair odds but if she maintains recent form, should at least give it a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Serious value there imo, I give her a decent chance of winning gold. She's due a win.

Level after 5. Greens look like concrete there, hard to get balls to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I see from the BBC leaderboard Stephanie has quit Ireland and is playing for the UK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

About to turn 12PM on the Golf course in Tokyo, real feel temp is 43C.

They moved the Showjumping to 7pm for horse welfare, but apparently for 60 young women to walk 7kms is fine.

Bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I see that both Sweden and Canada want the women's football final moved, as they fear the daytime kick off will mean it is way too hot to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Xander10

any update on whether it is being restricted to 54 holes?

The latest I saw is they are staggering tee times for tonight's 3rd round and are still intending to play final round tomorrow but will change that to Sunday if weather intervenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Back to back birdies for her first 2 holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

-3 for the round so far and the world feed coverage completely uninterested.

2 shots off the Medals and 11 to play. About to birdie again on 8 as the coverage finally picks her up. Go on Leona you machine.....

Triple bogey on the 9th 😥 Back to -1 for the day

God, that 9th hole was painful to watch. Hard to come back from that now!

Trying to work out the 7 on the 9th and missing a shot.

Drive into left rough, 2nd hits branch, 3rd short of green, 3 putts (or chip and 2 putts)

That's 6, wondering did she have to chip out with her third? Very unlucky if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Watched Leona last night. 4 under thru 8. Then bad tee shot into the rough on 9, then a recovery shot that hit the only branch in her way so ball was dumped 50 yards in front of her into a horrible position, then a twisted shot from this horrible position into a deep front bunker, then a full shot slightly over the back of the green, then a fluffed wedge. At this point I turned off the TV. I can't even think how gutted Leona was. But there is a lesson to be learnt. What I described would be my normal golf game, she needs to understand is that shi@t happens and you just stick in there. So she didn't do that, but I hope that's the lesson she learnt this weekend

Up to 8th in race to CME and 48th in world rankings. Season earnings of $700k.

Carnoustie this week for the Women's Open.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Was at Carnoustie last week, all blocked off for the WO but sweet mama, that place is exposed, no high dunes to protect from the North Sea breezes, fierce flat

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Always been the No.1 open course for me. Read in paper where course officials felt they made it too easy last time they hosted the women's and were determined not to have a repeat this time. So a lot less forward tees and par reduced to 71. Gonna be fun, especially if the wind blows!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Always wished they left it setup the way it was for when Paul Lawrie won it

The sadist in me quite enjoyed watching the pros struggle with "the beast" that week. Remember a young Sergio being led off the course in tears, the cut was 10 or 11 over or something like that. Wonder will we see a winning score under par this week?

Opening level par 72, not bad, solid tee to green but just holed no putts. Very benign conditions so was a good day for scoring. The irrepressible Nelly Korda up there among the leaders on -5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Lauren Walsh, originally a member in my home club, Castlewarden, is playing as an amateur in the Open. Shot a +2 for her opening round

Got a nice round going this morning, -3 after 8, needs to keep it going to stay in touch with leaders. Shame no live coverage till 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

She's -5 now after 15, just 2 off the lead. Some of the leaders yet to tee off but she should be in a good position by end of the day

Advertisement