Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three 14 day return policy

Options
  • 23-04-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi I want to return my upgrade ( done over the phone) to three.
    I can't get a straight answer from customer service or find the information online.
    Do I have 14 days from the upgrade over the phone, from the day I receive the phone..including that day or from the day after I receive the phone? Different reps have told me different things..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Not in the case of an upgrade.
    Work in a store, and we never return upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I heard some except returns as long as the box isnt opened

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

If that happens in store, the manager might allow an exchange.
    But in terms of the contract element, the network themselves won't revoke the upgrade.

They're very tricky to deal with, so perhaps it might be possible through a rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Under distance selling regulations a 14 day cooling off period begins on the day following receipt, eg if delivery was made on Mon then your 14 day period begins on 00:01 Tues.
    Whether you are entitled to a cooling off period depends on how you got the upgrade. If you got a free upgrade then I doubt it applies as you haven't actually entered a purchase contract, however if you paid for the upgrade then I expect it would be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

There is a policy for buying goods over the phone that doesn't apply to upgrades in store.

It's been confirmed that I can return the phone within 14 days by three, several times.

What I want to know is what the 14 days are.

Thanks

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Your 14 days begin on the day following receipt, eg if delivery was made on Mon then your 14 day period begins on 00:01 Tues.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Also as you have signed up to a credit agreement you are also covered by the Consumer Credit Act. This also gives you 14 days to cancel and walk away, you will owe for what ever part of the service you have used up until now.
    Your 14-Day Money Back Guarantee
    – Bill Pay and Prepay customers.
    If you are eligible to avail of the14 day money
    back guarantee (“the policy”), you may only
    terminate the agreement by returning your
    device and original boxed accessories, along
    with your proof of purchase, within 14 days of
    receipt of your Device (“the 14 day period”).

Page 5 here:

http://www.three.ie/pdf/SmallPrint.pdf

Thanks folks. I paid €100 towards the new phone which luckily gave me the option of returning within 14 days as the snazzy phone was fantastic at doing everything except phone calls. It was an early upgrade so I'm still on my old contract. Received it on the 13th by courier, sent it back registered post Friday so Three will have it back on 14th day.
    I was told on the phone when upgrading I had 14 days but I had a nasty experience with the upgrade team before so wanted to make sure. It's also mad that different departments don't seem to be aware of this policy. Makes it hard to trust them.
    Thanks again

O, they are well aware, but told to avoid clawbacks.

Also even with an early upgrade, a new contract is in play.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    O, they are well aware, but told to avoid clawbacks.

Also even with an early upgrade, a new contract is in play.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure the new contract doesn't kick in until the old one runs out though..this is how I got stung before. I upgraded early and when the new one started they didn't apply the unlimited landline add on I'd had for the two years previously. I'd cclocked up €100 in landline calls totally unaware and apparently they had a recorded phonecall(which I didn't have a recording of and had no idea calls were used later recorded as 'evidence' ) from 4 months previously where I had been told the name of my plan had changed and therefore three were not responsible for advising me about the add on.
    Lesson learned there for me :(

• Advertisement

Down load call recorder, best thing I ever did. It's saved me hundreds of Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Under distance selling regulations a 14 day cooling off period begins on the day following receipt, eg if delivery was made on Mon then your 14 day period begins on 00:01 Tues.
    Whether you are entitled to a cooling off period depends on how you got the upgrade. If you got a free upgrade then I doubt it applies as you haven't actually entered a purchase contract, however if you paid for the upgrade then I expect it would be covered.

You are always entitled to a 14 day cooling off period. No company can deny you that legally, even if technically the phone was free, after you all still entering into a new contract to get the free upgrade (which isn't technically free either way, another dodgy selling term)

Thought I'd pop back in and let you know how things went in case anyone else is thinking of going this route.
    It turns out once you call the upgrade team and let them know you're availing of the 14 day return policy within 14 days, the phone doesn't have to be received within 14 days also. Just asap. Spent the weekend sweating over potential post delays but needn't have so that's good to know!
    Also I had used the phone for a good week, headphones out of plastic etc and they still took it back so it was it perfect condition but also good to know you can really try out the phone without worrying about that.
    The upgrade contract has been reversed so I'm back on my old phone now and wondering whether to stick with three at all now given the way signal has been lately.
    So now we've worked out just what is possible according to three 14 day policy no thanks to three customer service
    Thanks everyone for all your help!

Advertisement