Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pond plants

Options
  • 23-04-2015 6:59pm

The missus had me install a pond last night,
    hard graft !
    anyway we got some plants for it today and were not sure how to "plant" them.
    Do we just leave them in the pot on the little shelf around the verge?
    they dont exactly look like I pictured them.......
    2015-04-23%2B18.54.13.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

You need to get special mesh baskets and transfer them, then place them at the required depth for each plant

You also need pond compost - regular compost will just float away

What plants have you got? I don't recognise them..

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

The missus had me install a pond last night,
    hard graft !
    anyway we got some plants for it today and were not sure how to "plant" them.
    Do we just leave them in the pot on the little shelf around the verge?
    they dont exactly look like I pictured them.......
    2015-04-23%2B18.54.13.jpg

Those seem to be marginal plants. They will certainly be ok temporarily like that but they should be planted in to special aquatic baskets with special soil. All available in any good garden centre.

You should also get some oxygenating plants to keep the water fresh.

Those preformed ponds can be a bit shallow and narrow where the shelf is I'm afraid, but the water level is normally a little higher than you have it and paving bricks, natural stone or paving slabs used to hide edge.

Post a larger picture of the pond area if you want more input.

Have fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you still have the labels from the plants? they should indicate at what depth they should be planted.

do you still have the labels from the plants? they should indicate at what depth they should be planted.

Yes I still have them,the ones pictured were all verge plants.
    We did get two lilies that just dropped onto the bottom.
    I suppose the question was more :
    do I leave them in the pots they came in then anything else

IK69 has answered this!Thanks
    Getting some oxygenating plants later too.
    Hopefully get some fish early next week:D

2015-04-23%2B18.54.06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Just a couple of pointers...

Two lilies seems too many for this size pond put perhaps they were miniature varieties. Also lilies like still water with no splashing so the might not like your fountain! Don't have it on too much maybe.

Oxygenators will need to be planted into baskets too since it's a new pond.

I would definitely put an edging of some sort around the pond or you'll end up with trouble even with something like mowing. Maybe that's your next phase!

Don't get too much fishies to start with and avoid koi, stick with goldfish and similar.

You're getting there!

• Advertisement

Cheers,
    some sort of edging is definitely in the plan.

Wow,can't believe its been 4 years!
    Here how the pond looks now.As you can see there have been changes.
    Excuse my terrible camera.

SmbpP6n.jpg

Have Irises,Japanese horsetail,2/3 types of rushes and grasses.
    Few different carnivorous plants,Corkscrew rushes and of course lilies.
    Acers and a mugo pine!

Havent done anything with it this year as we are getting ready to move to a house with a bigger garden (10x time :D).
    Have plans for a 20,000 liter pond (most equipment bought!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Well done
    I have to be honest and say I started reading this and was thinking, here's a man going to kill everything he just bought . Then copped it was 4 years ago lol. Looks great. Well done
    Did you get fish in the end ?

Well done
    I have to be honest and say I started reading this and was thinking, here's a man going to kill everything he just bought . Then copped it was 4 years ago lol. Looks great. Well done
    Did you get fish in the end ?

Thanks, really fell in love with the pond (not into it!!)
    I did get fish, lost a few to a herrin too.
    Probably overstocked at the minute but I keep an eye on the water with a test kit.
    Running a filter for 3/4k litres (apparently) and I reckon its only 12/1300 litres

Advertisement