Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a brand new Laptop with a new SSD?

Options
  • 22-04-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

I'm after buying a Lenovo Y50 laptop and a Samsung 850 EVO SSD to put in said laptop. Now, I have no experience of tinkering with laptops other than cleaning the fan so I'm looking for some advice here.

My main concern is migrating Windows onto my new SSD, the Lenovo has no optical drive. Everyone seems to have a different answer online regarding how you do it. My main question is this:

What would happen if I replace the Hard Drive with the SSD before even booting the laptop up for the 1st time? Will it start up grand or is there some data already on the Hard Drive that is essential to the laptop starting correctly first time?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Your laptop will tell you there's no boot disk or similar. Install Windows on a USB using Rufus, and boot from it to install on the SSD. If there's no serial code on the bottom of the laptop, you will be able to get one from reddit for about €20

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

the laptop wont boot

the new ssd is blank and the existing drive has new copy of windows

did the ssd come with cloning software

you need a bootable usb key with some cloning software or a better option would be a fresh load of windows onto the new ssd
    then you end up with a clean bloat free windows and the latest drivers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Merl1n wrote: »
    did the ssd come with cloning software

you need a bootable usb key with some cloning software or a better option would be a fresh load of windows onto the new ssd
    then you end up with a clean bloat free windows and the latest drivers :)

Ya, I think Samsung have their own cloning software. I'll prob go with a fresh install alright, especially with the Lenovo bloatware stuff that came out a while ago.

If I create a bootable USB, swap the hard drives and then boot from the USB, am I good to go then? I haven't had to do a fresh install of Windows and deal with BIOS before so I'm learning all the while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

you might have to change the boot order to get it to boot from usb some models have a one time boot option maybe f12
    then do the install

the install will be much cleaner and leave you with a faster system

if its windows 8 you might want to boot the original hdd and extract the windows product key

once you install the same version it should work

Advertisement