Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career break application - possible now?

Options
  • 22-04-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Just said would post here because don't know who to ask or where to turn.Am seriously considering taking a career break - would love to do it next year but know deadline application was start of March.Just wondering if anybody has ever got it with a late application.
    Am 10 years teaching with a permanent job but have become so disillusioned with the teaching profession.I would like to branch into another area - was considering doing MA in education but want to try perhaps a different area - my subjects are Irish and German worn 1 year of French in my BA degree International.Just wonder if any has or is in the same situation.
    Hate returning every year back to school looking over my shoulder constantly and having to answer myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think your not alone anyway, we had a pretty detailed thread on disillusionment a few months ago. maybe someone can post a link if they know where it is.

Could you compromise and do a job-share if the career break doesnt develop. Im not sure what the inns and outs of jobshare are but theres 2 teachers on it in our school now with no hassles. It might actually suit your principal in terms of creating better options for next years timetable!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Go for it, send in an application now. A colleague of mine sent one in last year about a month after the deadline and was successful. No harm in asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭J.R.

magicgal wrote: »
    Just said would post here because don't know who to ask or where to turn.Am seriously considering taking a career break - would love to do it next year but know deadline application was start of March.Just wondering if anybody has ever got it with a late application.
    Am 10 years teaching with a permanent job but have become so disillusioned with the teaching profession.I would like to branch into another area - was considering doing MA in education but want to try perhaps a different area - my subjects are Irish and German worn 1 year of French in my BA degree International.Just wonder if any has or is in the same situation.
    Hate returning every year back to school looking over my shoulder constantly and having to answer myself.

You have nothing to lose by applying -

6.1 A teacher seeking a career break must submit a written application to the
    employer not later than the 1st March of each school year prior to that in which
    s/he proposes to commence/continue the career break. The application must
    provide clear details of the exact purpose of the career break. A late application
    may be considered by the employer in exceptional circumstances.

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0010_2011.pdf

Advertisement