Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daycare affecting sleep?

Options
  • 22-04-2015 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

can anyone shed some light on this? Our 16 mnth old takes two naps a day in daycare (3-4 hrs total) and when he is home in the evening he is very difficult to put to bed. He fights the sleep for at least 40 mins.

We discovered when he was not in daycare for the last 4 days, and only getting one nap here at home (approx 2 hrs), that he went to sleep with much less hassle in the evening time.

So he was back in daycare today and at our request, the childminder gave him only one nap. But this evening it is the same problem with getting him to sleep and it's very draining. I am thinking perhaps there is some other underlying reason. But it seems to be an issue on the days that he has been in daycare....

Has anyone had a similar experience? What time would you put a 16mnth old to bed?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

It could be that he simply was in day care and not home with his parents. My little one always sleeps better the nights they weren't in creche.

They miss you and love you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Both of mine were down to one nap by 12-14 months. On my first the crèche reduced the naps to one at 12 months and I followed their lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Give it a few days, it might take a few consecutive days of 1 nap in Creche to settle into to the new sleep schedule. Hopefully things will settle again for you. One 2 hour nap sounds about right for this age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I find my 11 month is exhausted after being in the creche. I find she struggles to sleep when she's over tired. I think the creche is very stimulating for them too so their minds are whirring afterwards. Luckily my little one is only in creche one day a week so don't know what the solution is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

~40 minutes of flapping about is relatively normal at that age, no? It is for my 13 month old anyway, since she started walking. Doesn't want to miss anything going on in the world.

It might be overtiredness, or not tired enough too. Watch for tired cues... eye-rub, staring a bit, maybe a yawn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Our little one is the same age Cunning Stunt and is on 1 nap per day (2 - 3 hour nap) so maybe ask crèche to stick with the 1 nap and see how your little one is after a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all,

Just an update to this.... Baby is nearly 18 mnths now and at our request the childminder moved him to one 2 hr nap a day. This has now been the routine for the past few weeks.

But we still have the same issue - he still fights the sleep at home in the evening, but shows no issue going to sleep on days when he has been with us all day and not in daycare

I don't know what the knock-on effect from daycare is here - has anyone got any input for me? Could it simply be a case of over-stimulus / over-tiredness from being in daycare, as someone mentioned above? He is with 3 - 4 other kids every day.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Hi all,

Just an update to this.... Baby is nearly 18 mnths now and at our request the childminder moved him to one 2 hr nap a day. This has now been the routine for the past few weeks.

But we still have the same issue - he still fights the sleep at home in the evening, but shows no issue going to sleep on days when he has been with us all day and not in daycare

I don't know what the knock-on effect from daycare is here - has anyone got any input for me? Could it simply be a case of over-stimulus / over-tiredness from being in daycare, as someone mentioned above? He is with 3 - 4 other kids every day.

Thanks

As unhelpful as this will probably feel as a response it is just him missing you and his way of dealing with it.

I remember those nights after collecting my first from crèche, tired or not she'd be in bad form and difficult to put to bed.

She would have slept well in the crèche but always slept better and would be in better form the days we were at home.

He will grow out of it with time, and again I know that's probably not what you want to hear

Advertisement