Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Royal Irish Constabulary

Options
  • 21-04-2015 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I am considering doing my LC history project on RIC brutality during the War Of Independence. Does anyone know of any good books on the War Of Independence that has a heavy focus on the RIC? Or better yet on the RIC itself? I'm finding it difficult to find a lot of information so any other sources of information are greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You might try using the "search" function on this forum using "RIC".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You might want to broaden the scope of your project as well. Just to focus on incidents of brutality would be a very narrow focus, and not demonstrate very much about your deductive and reasoning abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭_ReyRey_

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You might want to broaden the scope of your project as well. Just to focus on incidents of brutality would be a very narrow focus, and not demonstrate very much about your deductive and reasoning abilities.

I know that I'm not limited to this time period but generally we are encouraged to narrow the focus of our topic as much as possible, that is why I thought the War Of Independence would be suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

_ReyRey_ wrote: »
    I know that I'm not limited to this time period but generally we are encouraged to narrow the focus of our topic as much as possible, that is why I thought the War Of Independence would be suitable.
    That was not the issue - the phraseology of your title and use of 'brutality' painted you into a corner. Reread what was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That was not the issue - the phraseology of your title and use of 'brutality' painted you into a corner. Reread what was written.

That was my initial thought as well.
    If your correcting teacher is politically inclined towards the direction you are considering, you might do well.
    If he is looking for a reasoned and balanced critique of the Police service at that time, you might not!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Pedro could you leave the lad alone? He simply asked a question. He doesn't need smart-arse remarks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

_ReyRey_ wrote: »
    I am considering doing my LC history project on RIC brutality during the War Of Independence. Does anyone know of any good books on the War Of Independence that has a heavy focus on the RIC? Or better yet on the RIC itself? I'm finding it difficult to find a lot of information so any other sources of information are greatly appreciated :)

Well I don't know that there has been much written specifically on topic, but I expect your biggest challenge will be separating fact from fiction and propaganda. I suspect you would need to be prepared to do a lot of primary research - digging into old newspapers, compensation claims, RIC and IRA reports etc., so while I don't want to discourage you, I'm wondering if given all the other work you will have to do for your leaving cert., you'll have sufficient time to make a go of this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

A contemporary account of the times from 1900s onwards would be 'The memoirs of Jeremiah Mee RIC Constable.
    The above actually mutinied whilst within the RIC in support of rebellion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

You could try focusing on one of the various massacres they were involved in instead of focusing on their general brutality (you would have a lot to cover).

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That was my initial thought as well.
    If your correcting teacher is politically inclined towards the direction you are considering, you might do well.
    If he is looking for a reasoned and balanced critique of the Police service at that time, you might not!

Thanks for the advice! Yeah that's true about the examiner, it does seem a little too risky. I'll definitely need to reevaluate.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Well I don't know that there has been much written specifically on topic, but I expect your biggest challenge will be separating fact from fiction and propaganda. I suspect you would need to be prepared to do a lot of primary research - digging into old newspapers, compensation claims, RIC and IRA reports etc., so while I don't want to discourage you, I'm wondering if given all the other work you will have to do for your leaving cert., you'll have sufficient time to make a go of this..
    The time element isn't too much of a problem since I'm still in fifth year, I have to whole summer ahead of me for whatever research is necessary. I hadn't considered propaganda and bias, thanks for pointing this out!

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    A contemporary account of the times from 1900s onwards would be 'The memoirs of Jeremiah Mee RIC Constable.
    The above actually mutinied whilst within the RIC in support of rebellion.

Thank you, I'll be sure to check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Homework type threads are not allowed- next time try and generate discussion on a topic rather than this approach. Refer to forum charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement