Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian jiu jitsu in Carlow

Options
  • 21-04-2015 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello

Does anyone know if there are Brazilian jiu jitsu classes anywhere in Carlow?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

psycho1986 wrote: »
    Hello

Thanks

There's an MMA club in Carlow IT and I'm nearly sure they had a few guys compete in a BJJ competition before Christmas. Send them a message on Facebook AMD I'm sure they could help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

emmetkenny wrote: »
    There's an MMA club in Carlow IT and I'm nearly sure they had a few guys compete in a BJJ competition before Christmas. Send them a message on Facebook AMD I'm sure they could help you out.

Myles Price runs it [or ran it] He still runs BJJ and MMA with Mick Brennan in Kilkenny Boxing Academy/Sully's Gym. They're also a Team Ryano affiliate.

Ah I didn't know they were affiliated to Team Ryano. Might take a spin up some night. Not to far from Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 psycho1986

Thanks for the response. I've messaged the Carlow I.T. MMA facebook page. Just wainting on a response now. I do travel with work so would like to not have to travel again to train, would like the classes to be in Carlow.

I will post a reply hear as soon as I hear back from them.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Thanks for the response. I've messaged the Carlow I.T. MMA facebook page. Just wainting on a response now. I do travel with work so would like to not have to travel again to train, would like the classes to be in Carlow.

I will post a reply hear as soon as I hear back from them.

Thanks again

Message Myles directly on his Facebook page. You'll probably get a quicker response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Mick Aldridge runs a class in Carlow Strongman Gym, Mick is BJJ Black Belt and great instructor. Myles is also great so you have 2 great guys to work with :-)

RoboRat wrote: »
    Mick Aldridge runs a class in Carlow Strongman Gym, Mick is BJJ Black Belt and great instructor. Myles is also great so you have 2 great guys to work with :-)

I never heard of Mick. Any idea who he trained under to get his BB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I never heard of Mick. Any idea who he trained under to get his BB ?
    I've seen his name pop up a lot over the years. A lot of guys mention him running classes as a blue belt in athy since the late 90s. And a few years ago his school affiliated under Eddie Kone.
    A search of the the forum shows a pretty concise promotion record.
    Purple Belt, 2009.
    Brown Belt, 2011
    Black Belt, 2014

Mellor wrote: »
    I've seen his name pop up a lot over the years. A lot of guys mention him running classes as a blue belt in athy since the late 90s. And a few years ago his school affiliated under Eddie Kone.
    A search of the the forum shows a pretty concise promotion record.
    Purple Belt, 2009.
    Brown Belt, 2011
    Black Belt, 2014

Nice to have a black belt close by. Normally if I have time I'll drive up to ECJJ or Hysuria in Kildare to train with the guys there. So really good to have someone even closer.

Yeah Mick was awarded his BB by Eddie Kone last year, he has been training in BJJ for donkeys years and is a great instructor.

• Advertisement

Anybody have any idea what nights training is on ?

I'll ask him, leave it with me

I'll ask him, leave it with me

Perfect thanks Robo

Friday night at vitality fitness at 6.30pm €5 per class. It's a no gi class :-)

Friday night at vitality fitness at 6.30pm €5 per class. It's a no gi class :-)

Thanks for that Robo I'll do my best to get up some night. Do they train GI at all up there ?

Do they train GI at all up there ?

Don't think so, I'm sure if there is interest Mick might be able to do it but he does classes in Athy so not sure if he has the time.

Central BJJ in Portlaoise do Gi classes 3 times a week, not sure if thats too far but there is a good crowd and John is a brown belt under Eddie Kone. Its well worth going to is its not too far.

Don't think so, I'm sure if there is interest Mick might be able to do it but he does classes in Athy so not sure if he has the time.

Central BJJ in Portlaoise do Gi classes 3 times a week, not sure if thats too far but there is a good crowd and John is a brown belt under Eddie Kone. Its well worth going to is its not too far.

Portlaoise is a bit far away. I'm from Wexford so train with Arena in Wexford town. There's also Team Caveman in Gorey ran by guys that used to train in Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aro13

Hello

Thanks

It may be too far out of your way , but since you mentioned you travel with work. Ganbaru Jiu Jitsu Academy in Waterford train Monday,Wednesday and Friday 6.00-8.00. Just in case its any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Hi there, just wondering whats the story with bjj in wexford, based near enniscorthy and im mad to start training, been looking at the gracie university stuff so ive an idea but id rank myself as an absolute beginner, be more interested in no-gi but either would be grand, thanks a million.

Depp wrote: »
    Hi there, just wondering whats the story with bjj in wexford, based near enniscorthy and im mad to start training, been looking at the gracie university stuff so ive an idea but id rank myself as an absolute beginner, be more interested in no-gi but either would be grand, thanks a million.

Where abouts are you based ? The club I train in is in Wexford town. There's MMA on a Monday night and Bjj GI classes on Wednesday and Friday. There all on at 7.

• Advertisement

Where abouts are you based ? The club I train in is in Wexford town. There's MMA on a Monday night and Bjj GI classes on Wednesday and Friday. There all on at 7.

clonroche so kinda halfway between new ross and enniscorthy, I'd be interested in both just however limited my bjj is my striking is non existent haha

clonroche so kinda halfway between new ross and enniscorthy, I'd be interested in both just however limited my bjj is my striking is non existent haha

There is class in Gorey as well but that's a bit further away.

Look up Arena Wexford on Facebook. The club is down south main street in Wexford town beside uncle Sam's.

There a decent group of guys down there and all are more than willing to help. Piotr is the coach and will answer any questions you have.

There is class in Gorey as well but that's a bit further away.

Look up Arena Wexford on Facebook. The club is down south main street in Wexford town beside uncle Sam's.

There a decent group of guys down there and all are more than willing to help. Piotr is the coach and will answer any questions you have.

Thanks a million ill have a look for that now.

Thanks a million ill have a look for that now.

No worries. Gibe me a shout if you've any other questions.

Advertisement