Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc Cover Group buy

Options
  • 21-04-2015 1:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just an interest check for now, but i'm considering putting in an order for a disc cover, and wondering have we enough to justify a group buy.

i know there are a couple interested, but unless we get bigger numbers it might make more sense to keep it at individual orders. if we do get enough it might make a nice saving .

the two sites i am looking at are:
    http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aero-disc-covers.html

http://www.bike-science.com/collections/disc-covers/products/aerojacketdiscwheelcovers

Bike science actually sources it's wheels from the first site, wheelbuilder. in teh past wheelbuilder was probably the choice, but with the recent exchange rate changes bike science may actually end up cheaper. I have an email into bike science to see if they would give a discount. wheelbuilder would be subject to VAT and duties, so Bike science at least is a hard price.

So if interested, add your name to the list. if it ends up only being a couple we're probably better off just ordering individually

1)Mossym

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd be interested Mossy, I've sent an email to the UK company just to see if it will fit a Mavic Aksium or Shimano RS11 rear wheel. Think these are around 100 euro so could make a very cheap disc wheel. If it can fit these I'd be interested, fair play for putting this up.

1. Mossym
    2. Joey100

I just got an email back and they are fairly certain they can be made for Mavic Aksiums, but not shimano wheels. Just incase someone is looking for a new wheel to put the cover on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Do they do them for mountain bike wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »
    Do they do them for mountain bike wheels?

When i was a teenager all I wanted as a Tiogra Disc Wheel for my MTB

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6d/5e/96/6d5e9625880c179af75c1c2571136482.jpg

Thankfully like most normal adults I grew out of MTBing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

In all honesty, given that this will not turn me into a world beater, an obvious question is does a conventional wheel with a cover make the same nice humming noise that a real disc makes? If so, take my money.........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

EC1000 wrote: »
    In all honesty, given that this will not turn me into a world beater, an obvious question is does a conventional wheel with a cover make the same nice humming noise that a real disc makes? If so, take my money.........

unfortunately not. the one disadvantage of the cover as opposed to the wheel is the lack of the whop whop sound.

i got an email back from bike science. they will offer a group buy discount if we can get 5 or more to purchase. unspecified for now, it is probably related to how many we can get

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

mossym wrote: »
    unfortunately not. the one disadvantage of the cover as opposed to the wheel is the lack of the whop whop sound.

i got an email back from bike science. they will offer a group buy discount if we can get 5 or more to purchase. unspecified for now, it is probably related to how many we can get

I'd be interested if this goes ahead. Cheers

so far we have

1) mossym
    2) Joey
    3)rodneyr

i know one or two other considering. anyone else? if we don't get to 5 probably better for folk just to order their own

Sorry guys. not enough interest to do anything on a group basis. I'm going to go ahead and order myself, probably from wheelbuilder directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I would be interested as well subject to it being confirmed on a Mavic Aksium like Joey.

• Advertisement

Order from wheelbuilder arrived. look good so far.

20150512_173031_zpseprqq75y.jpg

What wheel are you putting it on Mossy? Be interested to see it when it's done.

joey100 wrote: »
    What wheel are you putting it on Mossy? Be interested to see it when it's done.

bought it to fit the mavic ksyriums i have, for a couple of reasons

1) means i'll still have my 50mm wheel available if some race says no discs
    2) my race wheels aren't very common, so unlikely i;d get another set, easy enough to pick up a ksyrium if i needed.

next race is cutra and probably won't use it there, so might not be going on for a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

mossym wrote: »
    bought it to fit the mavic ksyriums i have, for a couple of reasons

1) means i'll still have my 50mm wheel available if some race says no discs
    2) my race wheels aren't very common, so unlikely i;d get another set, easy enough to pick up a ksyrium if i needed.

next race is cutra and probably won't use it there, so might not be going on for a couple of weeks

+ 1 on your views.
    What was the lead time like from order to receiving? Cheers

Out of curiosity how come your not using it in Lough Cutra?

+ 1 on your views.
    What was the lead time like from order to receiving? Cheers

ordered it on Thursday last week. was 4 dollars difference between the two shipping options, so went with the faster as i wasn't sure the other was tracked. Fedex tried to deliver Monday but came at the one 30 minute slot no-one there. so delivered yesterday. not bad at all

joey100 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how come your not using it in Lough Cutra?

course knowlegdge :) don't believe it would offer any real advantage, in fact part of me is considering the road bike. lumpy course with terrible surface, lots of loose stones and by the time i start second lap all the later waves will be on the course, meaning the risk of a flying stone pretty high I'd say. for little reward and risk i'm not going to bother.

will save it for a race i'm looking to do well in:)

Advertisement