Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to register as self employed once you've published a book

Options
  • 21-04-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Okay, so I'm not sure if here is the right place to put this, but I said I would give it a go here anyway.

My friend is on disability allowance for a condition that means she's in and out of hospital and the doctor a lot and cannot work. Over the last year she wrote a story (novel length) and had wanted to self-publish it. So I asked on another section here if that would cause problems with her disability, if she were to self-publish and someone replied that she should publish the first one as a hobby for now and if she publishes a second one then she should consider registering as self-employed. But she (and I) always believed you have to register as self employed when you publish a book, no matter how much you earn. Is this the case?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

No. It's based on how much you make.

You can earn a certain amount before declaring for tax. You'd need to be quite successful as a writer to hit that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sophia_G

Das Kitty wrote: »
    No. It's based on how much you make.

You can earn a certain amount before declaring for tax. You'd need to be quite successful as a writer to hit that point.

Good to know. Thank you! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Actually, don't take my word for it. Maybe take a look at the citizens advice website. I'm not sure how disability benefit works.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Actually, don't take my word for it. Maybe take a look at the citizens advice website. I'm not sure how disability benefit works.

Okay. Thanks. Will pass the info on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

"For 2015 and subsequent years the first €50,000 per annum of profits or gains earned by writers, composers, visual artists and sculptors from the sale of their work is exempt from income tax in Ireland in certain circumstances. For the years 2011 to 2014 the maximum amount which was exempt was €40,000."

From here...

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/artists-exemption.html

There's a truism about tax. There's only one thing worse than paying tax and that's not earning enough to have to pay tax :pac:

• Advertisement

Geniass wrote: »
    "For 2015 and subsequent years the first €50,000 per annum of profits or gains earned by writers, composers, visual artists and sculptors from the sale of their work is exempt from income tax in Ireland in certain circumstances. For the years 2011 to 2014 the maximum amount which was exempt was €40,000."

From here...

There's a truism about tax. There's only one thing worse than paying tax and that's not earning enough to have to pay tax :pac:

Thanks for the link! I'll pass it on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Trisha_H

This thread could definitely be helpful to me. Will have to check out that link. :)

Any questions let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EllaMae

I'm so glad I stumbled across this because I was wondering the same thing. But I'm still a little unsure on whether you would be considered self employed or not?

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kaloshma

I think it should be based on the amount of money being made as income.

• Advertisement

EllaMae wrote: »
    I'm so glad I stumbled across this because I was wondering the same thing. But I'm still a little unsure on whether you would be considered self employed or not?

Thanks. :)

Why the doubt? After reading the article, what makes you think you'd not be exempt.

Journalistic income, for example, would not be exempt.

Geniass wrote: »
    Any questions let us know.

Thank you! :) Now to try and see if it affects disability payments or not.

Sophia_G wrote: »
    Thank you! :) Now to try and see if it affects disability payments or not.

It could, but it would be based on self employed income which, if earned in 2015, would not be returned until near the end of 2016.

However, I wouldn't worry about it. Very few authors would make significant money.

If you did make money on it, after deductions, you would need to add it to other income to see if you pass any particular threshold.

Advertisement