Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinder for < €300

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Maybe take a look at the Sage Smart grinder from coffee angel? €250. I haven't used it so can't really give a recommendation but may be worthwhile dropping into them to have a chat about it?

http://coffeeangel.com/product/sage-smart-grinder-bcg800uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

adrian522 wrote: »
    Maybe take a look at the Sage Smart grinder from coffee angel? €250. I haven't used it so can't really give a recommendation but may be worthwhile dropping into them to have a chat about it?

http://coffeeangel.com/product/sage-smart-grinder-bcg800uk/

Thanks Adrian - also available here for €259 with a €40 oneforall gift card.

I'm just not sure if it's any good; or even comparable to the Rancilio. Hopefully more will weigh in....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ArcticFox wrote: »
    Thanks Adrian - also available here for €259 with a €40 oneforall gift card.

I'm just not sure if it's any good; or even comparable to the Rancilio. Hopefully more will weigh in....

I have one and have found it to be superb, for both espresso and aeropress. Can't really provide any guidance on comparison with the Rancilio (as haven't used one), but if espresso is your one and only tipple of choice you may be better off with the Rancilio. If you switch between coffee styles, then the Sage may suit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yeah, having watched the video on the Rancillio Rocky, I'd suggest that as you're primarily an espresso drinker, the Rancillio may be a better investment for you.

Sage Smart Grinder:
    Easier to clean
    Easier adjustment of grind levels
    LCD display of current grind level
    Timed shots

Rancillio:
    Trickier adjustment of grind levels and cleaning
    40+ steps of adjustment for more granular grind tweaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

I have the Sage and it is an extremely well designed little grinder. It couldn't be called quiet but is not overly loud either. I am forever jumping between Aeropress, Clever, espresso, V60 and the Sage is really easy to switch to different grind.

Can't compare it to the Rancillio either as haven't used one, but can say that I'm more than happy with my Sage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

Thank you all for your sage :p advice!

I've made a decision - I'm going to go with the Rancilio Rocky

Couple of reasons:
    • The decisive factor - I mainly drink espresso
    • It's built to last
    • It will compliment my Rancilio Silvia nicely and looks tidier than the Sage

It also gives me another opportunity to order from Home Coffee Machines Ltd which is a small Irish business based in the West of Ireland.
    http://www.homecoffeemachines.ie/collections/frontpage/products/rancilio-rocky-doserless-grinder
    I ordered my Rancilio Silvia from them and Ciaran, the owner, runs a very efficient service. Free shipping too! No affiliation, but I like supporting small Irish Businesses where possible.

Thanks to all for their help - I will post a review here once received and tested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Just to say for anyone thinking of getting the Sage Smart Grinder, get the Pro as can be got for same price, and has a lot more grind settings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I upgraded from my Baratza Encore last month to a Rancilio Rocky Doserless. Highly recommended grinder, Seattle give it a good review etc.
    I'm happy but.......

:D ...don't spend too much time reading (unfortunately I do) Home Barista Forums re: Rocky. They, it seems, thrash it as a rubbish espresso grinder. Those guys are in too deep.......:D:D

One guy says it's Like "driving a car with square wheels". Brilliant :p

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Try find a used Vario - grinders below that level really aren't strong enough for general espresso use. You could also try the percisco, but would really recommend saving until you could afford a vario.

Advertisement