Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla in Ireland

Options
  • 20-04-2015 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Folks - When will Tesla's be available here ?

Also - Ive noticed a couple of 151 reg ones in south Dublin, I assume they are imports ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

s8n wrote: »
    Folks - When will Tesla's be available here ?

Also - Ive noticed a couple of 151 reg ones in south Dublin, I assume they are imports ?

would love to know that as well, get them onto my car lottery draw...
    didnt think we had any dealers here for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭goochy

the uk outlets- factory owned - look after irish sales also thats what tesla said when launching in uk - think they should open in south county dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

goochy wrote: »
    the uk outlets- factory owned - look after irish sales also thats what tesla said when launching in uk - think they should open in south county dublin though.

pain in the ass that... yes we need one here....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,994 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Service network wise who would look after them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Service network wise who would look after them?

ESB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

I was told last week in a Tesla dealership that they are in the process of signing off on a service provider, priority is the service and supercharges. Sales are essentially online so a retail outlet is not that important yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

goochy wrote: »
    - think they should open in south county dublin though.

If they thought they'd make money I'm sure they would, As it stands they must think itd be a bad idea. realistically, how many will they sell here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

realistically, how many will they sell here?

Very, very few in my opinion. Cost being the huge restriction and generally speaking no incentive to own one. If you were exempt from tolls and had a decent rebate on your electricity bill, anything at all like that, I'd say the uptake would be far greater.

I've always wanted Roadster, purely for the fun factor. But as a serious car, day to day, I'm not sure we are there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Slightly off topic and maybe only a few people could answer this but when I was in Amsterdam nearly every taxi was a Tesla (at the airport anyway).

Is there some sort of extra incentive over there to use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

ironclaw wrote: »
    Very, very few in my opinion. Cost being the huge restriction and generally speaking no incentive to own one. If you were exempt from tolls and had a decent rebate on your electricity bill, anything at all like that, I'd say the uptake would be far greater.

I've always wanted Roadster, purely for the fun factor. But as a serious car, day to day, I'm not sure we are there yet.

I do big mileage around 50k per year and I think the Tesla is a very serious car. It wouldn't suit me but if I was office based (65 mile round trip) and had a regular schedule I think it is genuinley viable with a range of approx 300 miles.

I totally agree that price is a major issue, add to that the resale / second hand value it would be a major leap of faith. Particularly when you consider that the base S is €80k (exc VRT if there is any) and a spec'd up 85 will be 120k. At those prices you could be in an S class or 7 series and the interior finish of the Tesla while good is not at that level.

They were all over the place in Florida last week, I saw loads in Miami and several crossing alligator alley which is 100 miles with little or no services. They are racking up serious miles on them in the US, so if they can be viable there then I reckon there is something to them.

Pic of one I was in last week
    9D21DE15-FFA8-4B6C-B9C6-DC5046028A5D_zpsm8hhsp03.jpg

• Advertisement

@traco, agreed and I've been in my fair share as well. Beijing and the US, and a number of friends in the US have one including one gent with a P85. That guy also has an i8, and if I had the option, I'd probably take the i8 but I'd be hard pressed either way.

Range would be my biggest concern as even with a small enough commute, we live in a cold, dark and wet country for 4 to 6 months of the year. Sitting on the M50, I'd rather not have to turn off my heater, wipers and headlights as they are drawing too much current. Cold is also a battery killer. Its all well and good in sunny California, but I'd like to hear from someone running one in the depths of an Irish or UK winter.

When the range hits 500 miles, I'd certainly consider it. Before that, if I had €100k to spend, there are far better ways to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Caliden wrote: »
    Slightly off topic and maybe only a few people could answer this but when I was in Amsterdam nearly every taxi was a Tesla (at the airport anyway).

Is there some sort of extra incentive over there to use them?

There is. The % of airport licences allotted to electric taxis has increased year-on-year while the total number has stayed the same.

I was in a Tesla taxi - a Model S I guess. Liked what I saw. Seemed powerful enough and decent range according to the driver. Not sure what it cost though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I spoke to someone from Tesla UK about a month ago. They are hoping to come to Ireland this summer. Their website states that there should be 3 superchargers in Ireland by the end of this year + one in Belfast.

Yes, Model S is rather expensive but they will have an affordable model in a few years and an SUV soon.

I visit Norway regularly and there they're quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

traco wrote: »
    I do big mileage around 50k per year and I think the Tesla is a very serious car. It wouldn't suit me but if I was office based (65 mile round trip) and had a regular schedule I think it is genuinley viable with a range of approx 300 miles.

I totally agree that price is a major issue, add to that the resale / second hand value it would be a major leap of faith. Particularly when you consider that the base S is €80k (exc VRT if there is any) and a spec'd up 85 will be 120k. At those prices you could be in an S class or 7 series and the interior finish of the Tesla while good is not at that level.

They were all over the place in Florida last week, I saw loads in Miami and several crossing alligator alley which is 100 miles with little or no services. They are racking up serious miles on them in the US, so if they can be viable there then I reckon there is something to them.

Pic of one I was in last week
    blegh!

Only good tesla is the tesla roadster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Range would be my biggest concern as even with a small enough commute, we live in a cold, dark and wet country for 4 to 6 months of the year. Sitting on the M50, I'd rather not have to turn off my heater, wipers and headlights as they are drawing too much current. Cold is also a battery killer. Its all well and good in sunny California, but I'd like to hear from someone running one in the depths of an Irish or UK winter.

very low temperature does reduce the range but it never really gets that cold in Ireland

the model S sells very well in Norway, plenty of people driving them up above the arctic circle with little problem

because of price Tesla won't sell many cars in Ireland until the model 3 goes on sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Asmooh wrote: »
    blegh!

Only good tesla is the tesla roadster.

na, the model S P85D is far better than the roadster, its not even close

nokia69 wrote: »
    na, the model S P85D is far better than the roadster, its not even close
    Looks like a family car, which in my terms is automatically 'crap'

Asmooh wrote: »
    Looks like a family car, which in my terms is automatically 'crap'

Seeing as it can out drag an M5, I'd happily take one. The torque is enormous and something else to experience. RS6 and C63 can look like a family car, are they automatically crap? :pac:

Seeing as it can out drag an M5, I'd happily take one. The torque is enormous and something else to experience. RS6 and C63 can look like a family car, are they automatically crap? :pac:
    BUT the topspeed is nothing :) but I agree with the torque :)
    Just like the sound of a real engine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Received an email after an enquiry. They're planning to open a showroom Dublin/Belfast early next year. I'm looking at the 3 or even 70D as an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Received an email after an enquiry. They're planning to open a showroom Dublin/Belfast early next year. I'm looking at the 3 or even 70D as an option

How many years before the 3 goes on sale? Two all going well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

How many years before the 3 goes on sale? Two all going well?

They mentioned 2017 but they're usually delayed so I'd expect late 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The plan is to unveil the 3 in March 2016. I am curious to know what you'll get for half the price of a cheap Model S.

Advertisement