Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was this verdict fair?

Options
  • 17-04-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I recently called another employee a scab and I was nearly sacked but they gave me a 7 week suspension without pay . How do people think about this verdict is it fair or unfair , I've never been in trouble in my life at work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

I've never been in trouble in my life at work.

now you have.

I assume you were not having the 'banter' by calling your work colleague a scab and I would also assume that it was probably due to the fact that your colleague was trying to go about their days work.

I would suggest that you are luck to only have to serve a suspension .. I know if I verbally abused anyone in my office I wouldn't have a job in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I recently called another employee a scab and I was nearly sacked but they gave me a 7 week suspension without pay . How do people think about this verdict is it fair or unfair , I've never been in trouble in my life at work.

Sounds fair, you could easily have been dismissed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/dismissal/fair_grounds_for_dismissal.html

Gross misconduct may give rise to instant (summary) dismissal without notice or pay in lieu of notice. Examples of gross misconduct include assault, drunkenness, stealing, bullying or serious breach of your employer's policies and practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'd be more worried about a potential defamation claim.

Best to engage one's brian before the mouth in future, something I often struggle with also so I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I'd be more worried about a potential defamation claim.

Why would there be a defamation claim (if indeed the coworker did pass a picket line)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭hopgog

Sounds very fair, I would have sacked you straight away, employers don't need trouble makers and bullies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Assault can be emotionalor physical

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hard to judge unless you tell us why did you call him a scab in the first place. What was the situation surrounding it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

hopgog wrote: »
    Sounds very fair, I would have sacked you straight away, employers don't need trouble makers and bullies

To be clear (and not to be taken as "siding" with OP or otherwise), it is only repeated behaviour that can constitute bullying. A "once off" does not count.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

hopgog wrote: »
    Assault can be emotionalor physical

Link, please.

• Advertisement

Link, please.

goodtherapy.org/therapy-for-emotional-abuse.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Link, please.

Assault isn't always physical, the belief it may get physical is enough.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0026/sec0002.html

(b) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

MouseTail wrote: »
    Why would there be a defamation claim (if indeed the coworker did pass a picket line)?

Each case will turn very much on it's own facts. While it's doing that the plaintiff is probably on a no foal no fee basis and you're taking out a second mortgage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Not as a comment to the OP but in general my understanding from employment is that (AFAIR) only one instance of behaviour that is deemed to be bullying is sufficient and that physical & emotion abuse are co-equivalent though I suspect the latter has a higher burden of proof. Saying that, I'd of course defer to the learned opinion such as MarkAnthony.

Advertisement