Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeopathy

Options
  • 20-04-2015 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hope this is in the right thread. Has anyone had any experience with homeopathy in Galway, any advice would be welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

My advice is: don't bother with it. There is no science supporting it at all.

If you want to go ahead anyway you can find local practitioners here
    http://www.irishhomeopathy.ie/homeopaths/find-a-homeopath.php

• Registered Users Posts: 25,784 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you mean, how it's different in Galway than in anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Curiosity well you know what that did

No Mrs OBumble, I mean if you know of any good homeopath in Galway or any good practice with more than 1 practitioner

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No Mrs OBumble, I mean if you know of any good homeopath in Galway or any good practice with more than 1 practitioner
    Good as in effective? No such thing.

If you're looking for alternatives to real medicine that may be slightly more effective than drinking water, the ancient eastern remedies like acupuncture are likely to be more effective because they actually do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Curiosity well you know what that did

Yes as in effective. If you have nothing good or helpful to say, why bother posting at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,784 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Short thread, so.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

ScumLord wrote: »
    Good as in effective? No such thing.

If you're looking for alternatives to real medicine that may be slightly more effective than drinking water, the ancient eastern remedies like acupuncture are likely to be more effective because they actually do something.

Acupuncture has pretty much been debunked also, it's just placebo effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd suggest save your money :)
    And if anyone can show me one example in the history of the world of a single Homeopathic practitioner who has been able to prove under reasonable experimental conditions that solutions made up of infinitely tiny particles of good stuff dissolved repeatedly into relatively huge quantities of water have a consistently higher medicinal value than a similarly administered placebo:
    I will give you my piano
    One of my legs
    And my wife

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Australia has pretty much entirely debunked homeopathy.

A quick article here

One would suggest exploring alternative avenues, or at least not paying someone for homeopathic remedies and treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I'd suggest save your money :)

But whats wrong about getting a placebo with a elaborate backstory? placebos can sometimes cure minor ailments and taking a little sugar pill is going to be better for you then taking panadol or most other pills
    I dont care for it myself. but if someone chooses to believe homeopathy works and goes to a homeopath for some placebos that they believe will help them what harm, Placebos have been proven to sometimes help cure people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But whats wrong about getting a placebo with a elaborate backstory? placebos can sometimes cure minor ailments

Because you're paying obscene amounts of money for that placebo. And in the case of not so minor ailments, putting your health at risk by eschewing treatments that are actually effective in favour of the placebo. Fair enough if the OP has something trivial like a headcold and going to the homoeopath stops them from annoying their GP looking for a headcold prescription that doesn't exist, but if it's something more major than that?

I mean I'm okay with placebo treatments in some cases. A placebo can be great for treating someone with unexplained chronic pain for example. The biggest beef I have with homoeopaths is when they started to overstep their remits and claimed to be able to treat serious illnesses such as cancer or provide alternatives to vaccination and the like.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Do you mean, how it's different in Galway than in anywhere else?

In Galway you have a higher chance of finding an active ingredient in the "remedy" of course that ingredient would be e coli

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Stark wrote: »
    Because you're paying obscene amounts of money for that placebo. And in the case of not so minor ailments, putting your health at risk by eschewing treatments that are actually effective in favour of the placebo. Fair enough if the OP has something trivial like a headcold and going to the homoeopath stops them from annoying their GP looking for a headcold prescription that doesn't exist, but if it's something more major than that?

I mean I'm okay with placebo treatments in some cases. A placebo can be great for treating someone with unexplained chronic pain for example. The biggest beef I have with homoeopaths is when they started to overstep their remits and claimed to be able to treat serious illnesses such as cancer or provide alternatives to vaccination and the like.

Yeah i dont care for homeopaths trying to cure major things but for the most part they are happy to tell people to go to the doctor. but as a placebo for a bit of pain relief for someone who is already going to a hospital or for someone with a cold, flu or stomach bug, saying take these pills and rest yourself is all they need to do to get better but unfortunately doctors rarely just say go home and rest and they will prescribe pills which are not particularly good for you to cure minor things when all most people need to do is rest.
    I lost a bit of faith in my doctor after being given steroid pills to unblock my nose :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If it works for you, do it. I'm always amazed how many people jump on the bandwagon of telling people what to do. At least one poster expressed his/her opinion AND gave some info.

I wouldn't use homeopathy myself, but have had personal good experience with acupuncture for more than one ailment. A number of GPS train in it and offer it too, so it seems odd to hear someone say it was 'totally debunked'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Acupuncture has pretty much been debunked also, it's just placebo effect.
    As placebos go through at least theres a season where you get contact from another person.

I was reading in scientific American and focus that doctors are now looking at using stimulus like heat and pain to trigger beneficial responses from the body to reduce inflammation for example. They're also finding that bacteria has an affect on your mood. The body is complex and stimulating it in particular ways can have a beneficial result. I'm not completely discounting acupuncture yet.

Bottom line though is that it's a season with a person caring for you, that placebo effect is going to be better than drinking some water.
    inisboffin wrote: »
    If it works for you, do it. I'm always amazed how many people jump on the bandwagon of telling people what to do. At least one poster expressed his/her opinion AND gave some info.
    Because it's complete bunkum. Anyone that goes to a homeopath is being taken for a ride by a con man.

ScumLord wrote: »
    As placebos go through at least theres a season where you get contact from another person.

I was reading in scientific American and focus that doctors are now looking at using stimulus like heat and pain to trigger beneficial responses from the body to reduce inflammation for example. They're also finding that bacteria has an affect on your mood. The body is complex and stimulating it in particular ways can have a beneficial result. I'm not completely discounting acupuncture yet.

I am, it's the same effectiveness as sham-acupuncture where they stick needles in any old place as verified by double blind trials.

But delivery method of placebo does potentiate it's effect, for example pill placebos are more effective than cream placebos and injection placebos are more effective than pills etc.

If only ye homeopathy debunkers could post with the same attitude & ferocity on the bypass thread about the lack of evidence behind non-bypass solutions.

If only ye homeopathy debunkers could post with the same attitude & ferocity on the bypass thread about the lack of evidence behind non-bypass solutions.

dead-horse.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

Hope this is in the right thread. Has anyone had any experience with homeopathy in Galway, any advice would be welcome, thanks.

For the OP's question - I would recommend Therese Cosgrove in Athenry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 brucy

Homeopathy is quackery of the highest order. It is utter nonsense and thankfully most people realise this when they read up a little bit on the principles. If it works then everything we know about the laws of physics is wrong. It has been proven to be nothing more that placebo in hundreds of trials. Lots of people have died because they have refused to take real medicine and drink this magic water instead. Most homeopaths are anti vaccination and advise parents to give thier children magic sugar pills instead of having them vaccinated, truely dangerous stuff. please see this for example

http://thelogicofscience.com/2015/08/10/its-just-water-how-homeopathy-debunks-itself/

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/1800-studies-later-scientists-conclude-homeopathy-doesnt-work-180954534/

or just google homeopathy debunked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Bumping an old thread just to comment with something that doesn't answer the OP's original question, is really not helpful. So we'll just leave it at that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement