Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clocking motorcycles - how common?

Options
  • 20-04-2015 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

I have been looking for a couple of bikes for friends recently (one bought a ZZR1400 and other lad looking for a clean 600cc sports bike) so scouring Donedeal and Adverts.ie and I was wondering is there a practice of clocking (altering the mileage) on motorcycles and is it common?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I have been looking for a couple of bikes for friends recently (one bought a ZZR1400 and other lad looking for a clean 600cc sports bike) so scouring Donedeal and Adverts.ie and I was wondering is there a practice of clocking (altering the mileage) on motorcycles and is it common?

I would never trust the millage on the clocks of a bike. ( Unless I put them all up myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Well I traded in a ZZR1400 (2009) into a reputable dealer down the South East and it was sent to a neighbouring shop in Clonmel with half the milage !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its very very common, so is putting miles ON A BIKE to get cheaper VRT. Not just taking miles off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wouldn't trust the mileage on a bike, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭blade1

One of my old bikes popped up on Adverts.ie last year with 26'000 miles on it.
    Funny that, as there was 40'000 on it when I had it 5 years previously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

wouldnt mind finding someone to do it for me - though Im looking to get ~38,000 miles added lol (I changed gauges)

very easy to buy clocks from low mile bikes via ebay - and a lot of them are as easily changed as swapping an indicator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Couldn't find anything about mileage being part of calculating vrt on bikes? Cost per cc and then percent reduction on age?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Needs to have over 6000km on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea its not vrt, tis vat - they consider it a new bike if its less then a certain amount of km on it when you go to pay your vrt, so they sting you with both vrt+vat before you get your reg number

Advertisement